Perfect weeknight fare, these Easy Cheesy Mushroom and Tomato Gnocchi Skillet cooks in just one pan on the stovetop.
If your weeknight calls for hearty comfort food and carbs, this gnocchi skillet is just what the doctor ordered! This dish uses fresh (or shelf-stable) store-bought gnocchi and doesn't need to be pre-boiled. Just let it simmer away in the sauce until tender.
And of course, there's the mushrooms! Lots and lots of mushrooms, all cooked up until golden brown. Combined with some lovely fire-roasted, canned tomatoes that simmer away and cook down into a rich tomato sauce.
This hearty skillet of comfort food is ready in just about 30 minutes (and most of that is just simmering on the stovetop!). Perfect for busy weeknights.
Finish your skillet with a layer of cheese (Parmesan and mozzarella) and pop it under the broiler until melty and golden.
Cook's Notes for Easy Cheesy Mushroom Gnocchi Skillet
I like to use one tray of sliced mushroom and a tray of whole mushrooms that I cut up myself (either half or quarter, depending on the size). It provides a variety of sizes. Using a mixture of butter and cremini is also nice for a slightly different flavour and texture.
If you can find Fire-roasted canned tomatoes for this dish, they will add great flavour to your tomato sauce!
My cast iron skillet (shown here) is 10 inches across the top and just barely held all the ingredients here. A bit bigger one would give you a little more room to stir :) Be sure to start with a skillet that can go into the oven under the broiler.
Shelf-stable gnocchi can usually be found in with the dried pasta at your grocery store.
Easy Cheesy Mushroom Gnocchi Skillet
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 16 oz mushrooms (two standard trays *see Notes)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes (fire-roasted if you can find)
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dried basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 16 oz package fresh or shelf-stable gnocchi
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
- On the stovetop, heat olive oil in an oven-safe skillet (at least 10-inches top diameter) over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and fry, stirring regularly, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for another minute.
- Pour in the can of diced tomatoes plus about 1/3 a the tomato can full of water. Add the balsamic vinegar, basil, oregano and some salt and pepper and stir to combine. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until thickened. Stir in the gnocchi. Using the back of a spoon, push the gnocchi into the sauce as much as possible. Simmer for 5-7 minutes or until gnocchi are tender. *You can add a bit more water if you feel you need it to finish cooking the gnocchi.
- Taste your sauce and add a bit more salt and freshly ground pepper, as needed and to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven broiler with a rack 6-8 inches from the heat.
- When gnocchi are tender, sprinkle the Parmesan cheese then the mozzarella cheese overtop. Place the casserole under the broiler for 3-4 minutes until the cheese has melted and turned golden brown.