This Asian inspired dumpling soup is super quick to make thanks to the store-bought dumplings! It is a delicious, comforting soup with a bit of heat.
This super easy soup starts with store-bought, pre-made Asian dumplings. I started with Pork and Leek, which was perfect. Throw in some green onion, some carrots, lots of spinach and a bit of spicy red pepper and enjoy. It’s ready in less than 30 minutes!
If you love a spicy, broth-y soup, you’ll love this one. The pork dumplings add a bit of a noodle feel and the pork dumpling filling provides great flavour and a bit of heartiness.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Asian Dumplings – look for frozen, pre-made Asian Dumplings at your grocery store or Asian market. I’ve used pork and leek dumplings here, but any dumpling you enjoy will work fine.
Spinach – baby spinach is great in this soup, but any green will work here, as well.
Sesame Oil – toasted sesame oil has great flavour, if you have it on hand. If not, regular sesame oil is fine.
Hot Red Pepper – these can sometimes pack a punch, especially the little Thai red pepper. Just a bit is all you need. You could substitute jalapeño pepper or a similar pepper, instead. if you don’t have a spicy pepper around, I’d skip it or use a little sweet red bell pepper instead and finish the soup with a splash of Sriracha for the spice.
This soup keeps really well in the fridge, so is great for left-overs!
Get the Recipe: Asian Inspired Dumpling Soup
- 7 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 16 oz frozen Asian dumplings
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium recommended
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, minced or 2-3 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, or regular sesame oil
- 1 small red hot pepper, thinly sliced, or jalapeño or similar pepper
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced diagonally, white and pale-green parts separated from dark-green parts
- 4 oz baby spinach leaves, about 3 cups
- Sriracha, for serving
- In a large pot with a lid, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the carrots and reduce the heat to medium. Allow carrots to cook for a 2-3 minutes. Add the dumplings, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, red pepper and the white/light green parts of the green onion to the pot.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. Uncover, stir and cook an additional couple of minutes. Remove from heat and add the spinach and dark green part of the green onion. Stir until the spinach is wilted. Divide soup among serving bowls. Serve with Sriracha to add to soup.
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!