This delicious Pumpkin Brownie Loaf is moist, spiced pumpkin bread, meets chocolate brownies, with a layer of chocolate running through the middle!
Last year I made a wonderful Vanilla Brownie Pound Cake Loaf and I decided to bring that same idea in to pumpkin season, pairing the brownie layer with my favourite pumpkin loaf recipe.
Pumpkin and chocolate go fabulously together and this easy loaf provides the best of both flavours, together. Wonderfully moist, this loaf actually gets better with age.
I’ve made this Pumpkin Brown Loaf as my contribution to the Virtual Pumpkin Party 2017. Be sure to visit the #VirtualPumpkinParty Page to check out all the great pumpkin goodies being shared today. You can also follow along on your favourite social media site by checking out the hashtag #virtualpumpkinparty
Cook’s Notes for Pumpkin Brownie Loaf
This recipe makes two loaves. I like to leave it in these quantities, as it uses up most of a large can of pumpkin puree. If you don’t need 2 right away, eat on and freeze the other. It keeps beautifully in the freezer. Or surprise someone with your extra loaf :)
Note that this recipe calls for UNSWEETENED chocolate. You’ll find unsweetened chocolate in the baking aisle with the other baking chocolate. You could substitute bittersweet/semisweet chocolate by using 4 oz of bittersweet chocolate and reducing the amount of sugar in the Brownie Batter by 1/4 cup (so instead of 1 cup sugar in the Brownie Batter, use only 3/4 cup)
Pumpkin Brownie Loaf
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate coarsely chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
- 1 cup vegetable oil or canola or other neutral cooking oil
- 2 1/4 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- Makes two 9x5-inch loaves.
- Prepare the Brownie Ripple Batter: Combine the butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH until melted, about 1 minute. Stir until smooth and slightly cooled. Whisk in sugar and flour. Add the egg and vanilla and stir to form a loose batter. Set aside to cool slightly while making cake batter.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease two 9x5-inch loaf pans. Set aside.
- Prepare the pumpkin batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices and white and brown sugars.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oil and pumpkin. Add this mixture to the dry mixture and stir until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Add 1/4 of the Pumpkin Batter to the bottom of one of your prepared loaf pans. Level batter. Add 1/2 of the Brownie Batter and spread in to an even layer. Top with another quarter of the pumpkin batter and spread level. Repeat with the second loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 F. oven for 50-60 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.