This sour cream and red potato salad uses mini red potatoes, tossed in a creamy sour cream, mayonnaise and mustard dressing, together with lots of diced green onion.
This red potato salad is another Summer essential salad here. I love the simplicity of it and the tang of the sour cream in the dressing.
This salad can be made well ahead. The red potatoes hold up really well and keep their lovely texture, while the generous sauce keeps them moist. And speaking of the generous sauce, I know it looks like a lot, but trust me, because of the large pieces of potato, it’s really just right. A perfect balance of potato and sauce.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Potatoes – while this is a red potato salad, it can certainly be made with mini yellow potatoes, as well :)
Sour Cream – you can use full fat or reduced fat sour cream for this salad.
White or White Wine Vinegar – use whichever you have or prefer.
Mayonnaise – use your favourite mayonnaise. You could also use salad dressing, such as Miracle Whip™ if you prefer it.
Green Onion – If you have chives on hand or in the garden, feel free to substitute chives for the green onion.
- When buying your mini red potatoes, it’s best to select potatoes of similar size, so they cook at the same rate and are nicer in the salad. If your only choice is larger mini red potatoes, you may want to quarter them rather than halve them.
- Be sure to watch your potatoes closely as they near done and cook only until tender.
- If you happen to have a bit of bacon around, a bit of finely diced cooked bacon would be a nice addition to change this up.
Be sure to generously salt both your boiling water and your finished salad to really bring out all the great flavours.
Get the Recipe: Sour Cream and Red Potato Salad
- 1 1/2 lb mini red potatoes
- 1/2 Tablespoons white or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar
- 3 green onions, green part only, diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Additional green onion, diced
- Place whole mini potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and let stand 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Cut in half and place in a large bowl. Drizzle the vinegar over the potatoes and toss lightly. Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Prepare the dressing by combining all the dressing ingredients in a medium bowl and stirring until smooth. Pour over potatoes and stir to combine. Season with additional salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste (be sure to salt generously to really bring out the flavours). Cover and refrigerate until well cooled, at least 2 hours. Garnish with additional green onion to serve.
More Potato Salad Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!