This red potato salad uses mini red potatoes, tossed in a creamy sour cream, mayonnaise and mustard dressing, together with lots of diced green onion.
This Red Potato Salad is another Summer essential salad here. I love the simplicity of it and the tang of the sour cream in the dressing.
This salad can be made well ahead. The red potatoes hold up really well and keep their lovely texture, while the generous sauce keeps them moist. And speaking of the generous sauce, I know it looks like a lot, but trust me, because of the large pieces of potato, it's really just right. A perfect balance of potato and sauce.
If you have chives on hand or in the garden, feel free to substitute chives for the green onion.
When buying your mini red potatoes, it's best to select potatoes of similar size, so they cook at the same rate and are nicer in the salad. If your only choice is larger mini red potatoes, you may want to quarter them rather than halve them.
Be sure to watch your potatoes closely as they near done and cook only until tender.
If you happen to have a bit of bacon around, a bit of finely diced cooked bacon would be a nice addition to change this up.
Be sure to generously salt both your boiling water and your finished salad to really bring out the flavours.
Sour Cream and Green Onion Red Potato Salad
- 1 1/2 lb. mini red potatoes
- 1/2 Tbsp white or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp lemon juice or white vinegar
- 3 green onions, green part only, diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Additional green onion, diced
- Place whole mini potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and let stand 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Cut in half and place in a large bowl. Drizzle the vinegar over the potatoes and toss lightly. Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Prepare the dressing by combining all the dressing ingredients in a medium bowl and stirring until smooth. Pour over potatoes and stir to combine. Season with additional salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste (be sure to salt generously to really bring out the flavours). Cover and refrigerate until well cooled, at least 2 hours. Garnish with additional green onion to serve.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.