This Classic Tomato Feta Salad combines beautiful Summer tomatoes with feta cheese and red onion, all marinated in a red wine vinegar vinaigrette. An easy, essential Summer salad!
If there is one salad that makes the most appearances on my Summer dinner table, it’s this Classic Tomato Feta Salad. It’s a fabulous way to enjoy the best of Summer, with vine-ripened tomatoes, red onion, fresh basil and feta cheese. It’s also a salad that loves to be made ahead, which is always a bonus in the busy Summer months.
This Tomato Feta Salad travels well, so put it on your list to take to your Summer events. It makes a great addition to the Summer BBQ table.
If you happen to taste the dressing, you’ll find it is very strong with vinegar. Don’t worry! When it combines with the salad and the juice from the tomatoes, it will be perfectly lovely.
Dried basil leaves can be substituted, if fresh basil isn’t available.
You can make this salad several hours ahead, but you will want to refrigerate. Be sure to remove from the refrigerator at least 15 minutes before serving though, as it will taste best at room temperature.
Get the Recipe: Classic Tomato Feta Salad
For the dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. white sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
For the salad:
- 4 large large tomatoes, cut into slices
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, tightly packed and shredded (or substitute 1 tsp.dried basil)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced and separated into individual rings (cut in half if really large)
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Prepare the dressing: In a small bowl (or jar), combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk or shake together well. Set aside.
- Arrange sliced tomatoes in a single layer, overlapping just slightly, in a shallow dish or deep plate. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper. Evenly scatted chopped basil overtop of tomatoes.Spread red onion over tomatoes, then basil, then sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese over the top.
- Drizzle with the dressing. Let stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before serving.
I actually made this salad tonight. I messed up a bit of the teaspoon vs tablespoon measurements, lol. It was a busy prep time. Don’t worry, I fixed it with extra olive oil and vinegar. An easy to make recipe and frankly, everyone loved it! This is so easy I will keep it in my favourites list as a GREAT summer salad. Thank you for this!
So glad you enjoyed it! We live on this salad all Summer long here :) Thanks!
There is nothing better than a summer tomato salad. Yours looks great.
Thanks Karen :)
Such a lovely and fresh salad for summer!
I cannot wait for juicy, red Jersey tomatoes Jennifer! Perfect for a salad like this one! So easy and perfect for a crowd!
Thanks Mary Ann!
Yep, I could eat this everyday!! One of my favorites!
Thanks Annie :)
This is right up my alley ~ I’ve got a tomato basil salad coming up tomorrow on the blog, and many more to come this summer, I’m so pumped for summer salads!! Pinning and sharing this beauty.
Thanks Sue and yes, tomatoes and basil are just Summer, aren’t they?! :)
I cannot wait for summer tomatoes! This is the perfect way to enjoy salads, simple and fresh. Have a great week Jennifer – sharing and pinning.