These S’mores Cookie Bars are the much easier way to enjoy the fabulous S’mores flavours! They are perfect for summer baking, to enjoy at picnics, BBQs or bake sales, too.
These S’mores Cookie Bars are a great summer treat, with the classic S’mores flavours in a quick and easy bar form. The recipe makes a large 9×13 pan, which will yield 24 bars, so they are great for feeding large groups and summer entertaining, picnics and BBQs.
Once cooled, these bars are nice and sturdy, so they travel well to where ever you are heading. These freeze well, too!
Ingredients and Substitutions
All-Purpose Flour – I haven’t tested these with Gluten free flour, though I suspect a 1-for-1 cup GF flour might work here.
Chocolate Chunks – chocolate chunks provide the nicest pool of melted chocolate, but chocolate chips will work just fine here, as well. I prefer semi-sweet chocolate, for a nice balance with the sweet marshmallows.I prefer semi-sweet chocolate in my S’mores, as I find milk chocolate to be too sweet (and that’s something I rarely say ;). That said, if you prefer, milk chocolate works just fine, as well.
Marshmallows – the recipe specifies mini marshmallows, but in a pinch, you could chop up larger marshmallows (not an easy task, as they are sticky. Try clean kitchen scissors!). Don’t be to skimpy when measuring out the mini marshmallows. I say “generous” 2 cups in the recipe, which means heap it up a bit :)
- I find these bars are easiest to cut cold, so I like to pop the pan into the refrigerator for a bit before cutting. That said, these bars are best enjoyed at room temperature or slight warm (pop them into the microwave for a few seconds!).
- I like to trim the outside edges of bars like this, then cut into even squares. Makes for a nice neat bunch of squares, plus you get to eat the trimmings (hate to waste ;)
- Don’t need a big pans worth? Cut the recipe in half and bake up in a 8×8-inch square baking pan. Baking time will be slightly less.
Making ahead, storing and freezing
These S’mores cookie bars are perfect for making ahead. Simply bake, cool then refrigerate up to 2 days. Slice just before serving.
These cookie bars will also freeze well up to 2 months.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, reduce to a pinch if using salted butter
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups mini marshmallows, heaping
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks, a bit more if using chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. (regular bake setting/not fan assisted) and grease and line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper, ensuring that the paper along the long sides extends above the pan a bit, to act as handles to remove from the pan later. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add eggs and beat until well combined. Reduce mixer to low and slowly beat in the flour mixture until combined.
- Remove and set aside about 1/4 of the dough. Press the remaining dough into the prepared pan to form a thin, even layer on the bottom of the pan. Top with chocolate chunks, then marshmallows. Scatter the reserved dough over-top in clumps. It won't/shouldn't cover the entire top, as you want the chocolate and marshmallows to show through the top.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 30-35 minutes. Set pan on a wire rack to cool completely, then lift out of pan by grabbing the parchment paper. Remove to a cutting board. Trim the outside edges, if desired, then cut into squares.
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!