This Thai Green Curry Shrimp with asparagus is loaded with flavour and made in one pan. It’s also ready in about 15 minutes, so it’s a perfect weeknight meal!
This Thai Green Curry Shrimp is one of my favourite meals – quick, easy and full of flavour! This delicious Thai curry with shrimp and asparagus is the perfect weeknight meal – ready in about 15 minutes.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Shrimp – you can use either cooked or raw frozen shrimp. Add the shrimp to the skillet from frozen, so no need to thaw.
I generally will remove the tails, but for the photos, I left a couple of shrimp with the tails on. You can go either way, as you prefer.
Asparagus – you’ll need about 10 spears of asparagus, give or take. You’ll need to blanch it slightly before adding to the pan, as it won’t cook to tender unless you do.
Thai Green Curry Paste – Thai green curry paste is lovely with the asparagus, but you could substitute either yellow or red Thai curry paste, if you don’t have green on hand.
- This dish cooks quickly in a hot wok or skillet, so have everything prepared, measured and at the ready to add to the pan as needed.
- This curry is lovely served with rice or rice noodles.
Get the Recipe: Thai Green Curry Shrimp
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced or ginger paste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Thai green curry paste, (can also use red or yellow Thai curry paste)
- 13.5 oz. coconut milk, full-fat or lite
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 10-12 spears asparagus, blanched and cut into 2 to 3-inch pieces
- 8 oz. frozen cooked or raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and trimmed of tails
- Thai or regular basil leaves
- 1 lime, cut in to wedges
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Blanch asparagus: Place asparagus flat on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 60-90 seconds. Allow to cool slightly, then cut into 2 – 3-inch pieces. Alternately, you can boil a bit of water over high heat in your wok and blanch asparagus for a minute or two in the water. Remove to cool, then cut. Discard water and continue with rest of recipe.
- This recipe cooks quickly, so it's best to have all the ingredients prepared and/or measure out and at the ready to add as needed.
- Heat oil in wok or deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper. *If using raw shrimp, add now as well. For cooked shrimp, add later, when instructed. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for another 30-45 seconds. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring for 30-45 seconds. Add a few tablespoons of the cream from the top of the coconut milk and cook, stirring another 30 seconds. Add the remainder of can of coconut milk, chicken broth and fish sauce. Add blanched and chopped asparagus and allow mixture to bubble away, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or so. if using cooked shrimp, add now and cook another few minutes to warm shrimp. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. (You can also add additional curry paste, if you like). Note! The sauce will be on the thinner side, as is typical of Thai curries.
- Serve, garnished with basil leaves and with a lime wedge for drizzling. Lovely serve with rice or over rice noodles.
More Shrimp Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!