This Thai Green Curry Shrimp with Asparagus is loaded with flavour and made in one pan. It's also ready in about 15 minutes, so it's a perfect weeknight meal!
These truly are my favourite kind of meals - quick, easy and full of flavour! They are meals that taste like a lot more time and effort went in to them. This delicious Thai curry with shrimp and asparagus is the perfect weeknight meal - ready in about 15 minutes. You just can't beat that.
There is only a little bit of prep for this dish - a bit of chopping and the asparagus needs a head start cooking. You can blanch the asparagus for a few minutes, but I prefer to simply lay flat on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for about 60-90 seconds, depending on the thickness. I also like to have my sauce ingredients out and ready.
Cook's Notes for Thai Green Curry Shrimp with Asparagus
Once everything is ready, heat up a wok or deep skillet over medium-high heat and stir-fry away.
For this dish, I usually use cooked shrimp that I add in at the end and cook just long enough to warm. Of course you can also use raw shrimp and add them earlier in the process so they have time to cook.
This curry is lovely served with rice or rice noodles.
Thai Green Curry Shrimp with Asparagus
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeded and cut into thin strips)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger (peeled and minced)
- 2 clove garlic
- 3 Tbsp Thai green curry paste ((could also use red or yellow Thai curry paste))
- 1 13.5oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 10-12 spears asparagus (blanched and trimmed to 2-3-inch pieces)
- Cooked or raw shrimp, thawed and trimmed of tails
- Thai or regular basil leaves
- 1 lime (cut in to wedges)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Blanch asparagus: Place flat on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 60-90 seconds. Allow to cool slightly, then cut into 2 - 3-inch pieces. Alternately, you can boil a bit of water over high heat in your wok and blanch asparagus for a minute or two in the water. Remove to cool, then cut. Discard water and continue with rest of recipe.
- Heat oil in wok or deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper (if using raw shrimp, add now as well). Cook, stirring, until they soften. Add ginger and garlic and cook for another 30-45 seconds. Add curry paste and cook, stirring for 30-45 seconds. Add a few tablespoons of the cream from the top of the coconut milk and cook, stirring another 30 seconds. Add remainder of can of coconut milk, chicken broth and fish sauce. Add blanched and chopped asparagus and allow mixture to bubble away, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or so. if using cooked shrimp, add now and cook another few minutes to warm shrimp. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. (You can also add additional curry paste, if you like).
- Serve, garnished with basil leaves and with a lime wedge for drizzling. Lovely serve with rice or over rice noodles.