Delicious apricot jalapeno jam cheese topper recipe, perfect for holiday get-togethers or as holiday gifts from your kitchen.
Why you’ll love this apricot jalapeño jelly
This savoury apricot jelly is for making now and popping in the fridge or gifting. Because it’s made with dried apricots, you don’t have to make it when apricots are season. You can just make a batch whenever you need some.
How to enjoy your jelly
I love to spoon some on top of warm brie, but it’s also great for just putting out a small bowl and spoon, and using a bit to top crackers and cheese (goes great with aged white cheddar or goat or cream cheese).
This cheese topper is a perfect kitchen gift project, because it’s quick and easy, it’s made with dried apricots (easily available year round) and doesn’t need commercial pectin, so it’s more economical to make and needs less sugar.
I like to pick up some pretty little jars and put it with a round of brie and crackers or bread in a little basket or container. If you like, include a recipe card with the Spicy Sweet Apricot Sauce below, as an idea for any left-overs.
This recipe will make about 2 cups of jelly, enough for four 4-oz. (125ml) or two 8-oz. (250ml) jars. You can double the recipe, but I wouldn’t make too much at once. Other than the 4 hour soak, this cooks up quickly, so it’s easy to make another batch when you need some more.
Ideally, you’ll have a thermometer to make this jelly. If you don’t have a thermometer, be sure to test with the cold plate test.
This jelly must be refrigerated for storage. It will keep well in the fridge for several months. As it is not canned, it is not shelf stable. If you want to can this jelly, please refer to a reputable food canning resource for guidance on how to do that safely.
Try it as a glaze for chicken or salmon!
Beyond using to top cheese, try this jam on chicken or salmon, too! Simply mix up the sauce below …
Spicy Sweet Apricot Sauce: In a small microwave-safe bowl or glass measuring cup, combine 1/2 cup apricot jalapeño jelly, 1 tsp. soy sauce, 1 tsp. Sriracha, 1 tsp. sesame oil, 1 Tbsp. shredded coconut. Heat for 30-45 seconds. Spoon over grilled or pan-seared salmon or chicken before baking or grilling.
Get the Recipe: Apricot Jalapeño Jelly
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced in 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced in 1/4-inch dice
- 3 – 4 Tablespoons jalapeno pepper, diced in 1/4 inch dice (seeds removed)
- 2 cups white sugar
- Place diced apricots in a small bowl and add the white vinegar. Stir and push the apricot pieces down so that they are covered by the vinegar. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 4 hours, stirring a couple of times.
- Near the end of your 4 hours, dice up your onion and peppers.
- Add the soaked apricots and any remaining vinegar into a medium saucepan. Add your diced red onion, red pepper and jalapeno pepper into the saucepan and then the 2 cups of sugar. Stir to combine.
- Over medium heat, stir the mixture until it becomes very liquid and the sugar has dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, increase the heat to medium-high and attach a thermometer. Cook the mixture until it reaches at least 222° F. on your thermometer then remove from heat and carefully pour into a jar and place lid on it. (If you don’t have a thermometer, you’ll want to allow it to cook at a full, rolling boil for about about 1 minute. A full, rolling boil is a vigorous boil – one that can’t be stirred down). Allow to cool at room temperature, stirring or flipping the jar over every 10 minutes or so, to distribute the solids. Once cooled, refrigerate. (If giving as gifts, be sure to label or tell the recipient to refrigerate).
More Jams and Jellies to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!