These Bacon Wrapped Pork Medallions are simple enough for any night, but also special enough for company! Cook on the BBQ or in the oven.
This is one of my favourite quick and easy things to do with pork tenderloin. Simply cut the pork tenderloin into medallions, wrap them in bacon, then press into some steak spice. Cook them up quickly on the BBQ or in a hot oven.
The feta topping is optional, but you really don’t want to skip it, in my opinion. It is the perfect salty foil for the peppery pork.
I like to pre-cook the bacon slightly, by microwaving for about 1 1/2 minutes and then letting it cool. Use the bacon as a guide to cut the medallions from the pork tenderloin, so that they are the same width as the bacon slice. Secure the medallions with a skewer or toothpick.
Place some Steak Spice onto a plate and press the both the top and bottom of the medallions into the steak spice.
Place the medallions into a lightly greased, oven-safe skillet (cast iron is perfect!). Cook in a 425F oven, rotating and flipping the medallions as they cook, for about 30-35 minutes. While they are in the oven, quickly mix up the feta topping, if using. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature until the pork is done. *You can also make it ahead and refrigerate, but bring it to room temperature before using.
I love Montreal Steak Spice for this one, as it is more pepper than salt. Any steak spice will work here, though.
I find the extra little bit of time to pre-cook the bacon well worthwhile. The 15 minutes in the oven just isn’t enough to really cook it well and there’s really nothing worse than limp bacon :)
If cooking these in the oven, for a one-pan meal, dice up some potatoes and throw them in the same skillet as your pork and they will cook right along with the pork.
Get the Recipe: Bacon Wrapped Pork Medallions with Feta
- 1 1/2 lb. pork tenderloin, silverskin and any visible fat removed
- 4 slices bacon, 1 slice for each medallion
- 1/4 cup Montreal Steak Spice , or other steak spice mix
For Feta Pate:
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp sour cream, or 2 Tbsp Greek Yogurt or 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- For oven method, pre-heat oven to 425F. For BBQ method, heat grill to about 400F.
- Pre-cook the bacon slightly by layering in paper towel and microwaving about 1 1/2 minutes. Alternately, simply cook slightly in a skillet until some of the fat is starting to cook off. Allow the bacon to cool 5 or 10 minutes.
- Remove the silverskin and any visible fat from the pork tenderloin. Cut the tenderloin into medallions, about as thick as a slice of your bacon. *I like to lay the bacon strip right on to the pork tenderloin and use it as a guide for cutting the medallions. Wrap each medallion in bacon and secure on the side with a skewer, threading it through where the bacon overlaps and into the pork slightly.
- Pour some of the steak spice onto a plate. Dip both sides of the pork in steak spice by pressing down into the spice.
- For the BBQ: Grill on the BBQ until internal temperature of 140F internal temperature. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- For the oven: Place prepared medallions into an oven-safe skillet or pan and cook in the preheated 425F oven for 30-35 minutes, turning the medallion over once about halfway through cooking, or until 140F internal temperature. Remove from oven and let rest a few minutes before serving.
- For the Feta Topping: While the pork is cooking, make the feta topping, if using, by combining the garlic, butter, feta cheese, sour cream and parsley in a small bowl. Stir to combine well. (I fink a fork works well at first, to press it together, then stir). Set aside or cover and refrigerate if making ahead. Remove from fridge 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Remove skewers from meat. Serve with a dollop of feta topping on top of pork medallions.