Rustic, skillet peach pie with the the added flavour of brown sugar, for a delicious, caramel-like flavour.
Fresh, local Summer peaches will soon be disappearing for another year, so while they are still here, enjoy one last feed with this easy and delicious Brown Sugar Peach Pie!
Sadly, making pie crust is not exactly my strong suit :) So rather than engage in an exercise in frustration, I happily rely on ready-made, store-bought crusts to enjoy homemade pie.
I love the rustic vibe of a skillet pie, so I’ve gone that route with this peach pie. My skillet (shown here) is a 10-inch top diameter skillet, which works perfectly.
Brown sugar brings a lovely, caramel-like flavour to this easy peach pie.
The addition of brown sugar to this pie is such a lovely touch, which together with the cinnamon brings a warm, flavour to the pie. It’s perfect for the rustic skillet presentation and for late Summer baking.
Ingredient Notes for Brown Sugar Peach Pie
Pie Crust: If you are a pie-maker, you probably have a favourite crust recipe at the ready. If you aren’t (like me :), store-bought pie crusts are an easy option. You’ll need two “deep-dish” pie crusts (about 9-inches). If starting with frozen, let them stand at room temperature to thaw for 15 minutes before filling/topping.
Peaches: Ripe, but still firm fresh peaches are best for this pie. Go for the largest ones you can find, as they are just easier to peel. I like to use a Y-Peeler to peel the peaches quickly and easily. You’ll need the better part of a 2L basket of peaches to fill this pie (which I think is 2-ish quarts).
Brown Sugar: You can use dark brown sugar here if that’s all you have on hand. It will work just fine and add an ever-so-subtle molasses flavour to the pie.
Cook’s Notes for Brown Sugar Peach Pie
You don’t need to bake this pie in a skillet. I love the rustic presentation of a skillet pie and here I’ve used a 10-inch (top-diameter) skillet. A regular, deep dish pie pan is just fine here.
Be sure to grease your skillet well before adding the pie crust.
Top Tip! This is a very saucy pie, so be sure to place your skillet or pie pan on top of a large baking sheet to bake. To make clean-up easier, line the baking sheet with aluminum foil.
You may find some of the sauce will escape onto the top of the pie. Not to worry. It makes for a really nice caramelized crust :)
More Peach Recipes You Might Like …
Brown Sugar Peach Pie
- 2 9-inch pie crusts uncooked, homemade or store-bought
- 2 litre fresh peaches peeled, pit removed and cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter cold, cut into pieces
For topping before baking:
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 Tbsp white granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 425F. Grease a 10-inch top diameter skillet or similar size pie plate. Place on a baking sheet (cover baking sheet with foil, for easy clean-up).
- Place peach wedges in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, flour and salt and stir to combine and coat the peaches well.
- Fit one of the pie crusts into the bottom of the skillet or pie plate. Add peach mixture to skillet, then top with pieces of cold butter. Place second pie crust on top, pinching the sides where the top and bottom crust meet.
- Brush top of crust with beaten egg, then sprinkle with the 1 Tbsp of white sugar. Cut a few slits in the centre of the pie to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake pie on top of baking sheet for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 375F and bake for an additional 40 minutes. Cover top of pie loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil to prevent over-browning and bake and addition 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool at least 45 minutes to 1 hour before eating.