Light and moist fresh cranberry muffins, studded with cranberries and topped with an apple slice and turbinado sugar. A great Fall treat!
These Cranberry Vanilla Muffins are one of my favourite fresh cranberry muffins. They are a wonderfully light muffin, with a great vanilla flavour, lots of fresh cranberries for tart bursts of flavour and a topping of apple and turbinado sugar. They are perfect "coffee break" muffins and great for Fall baking!
You can make these muffins with either fresh or frozen cranberries. Since cranberries keep so well in the freezer, I always have some on hand to make a batch of these.
If you like, feel free to few a bit of peeled chopped apple in the muffin batter as well. These muffins also freeze well.
These muffins bake a quite a high temperature, which is great for getting them to rise up nice and light, but it also means that you'll want to check on them between 18-20 minutes in to baking and probably loosely lay a piece of foil over-top to prevent them from over-browning for the last 5 minutes of baking.
Cranberry Vanilla Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 larges eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla, or vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup fresh or frozen whole cranberries
- 1 small apple, cored, unpeeled and sliced to thin slices
- Turbinado or coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line 6-8 muffin cups with paper liners and set on a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and white sugar and beat well for about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between additions. Add vanilla and beat to combine. Add flour mixture, a bit at a time until all added, then add sour cream. Fold in cranberries by hand.
- Scoop batter in to muffin cups. Top with a slice of apple, then sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 18-20 minutes, then check. If already golden enough, loosely lay a piece of aluminum foil over-top. Continue baking another 5 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from muffin tin on to a cooling rack to cool.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.
More Fresh Cranberry Dessert Recipes from Seasons and Suppers