Light and moist apple cranberry muffins, studded with fresh or frozen cranberries and topped with an apple slice and turbinado sugar. A great Fall treat!
These apple cranberry muffins are one of my favourites. They are a wonderfully light muffin, with a great vanilla flavour, lots of cranberries for tart bursts of flavour and a topping of apple and turbinado sugar. They are perfect “coffee break” muffins and great for Fall baking!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Cranberries – You can make these muffins with either fresh or frozen cranberries. Since cranberries keep so well in the freezer, I always have some on hand to make a batch of these. If using frozen cranberries, no need to thaw. Use the cranberries from frozen, but allow a few extra minutes of baking time.
Apple – the slice of apple on the top is a nice flavour addition. You can use any type of apple you have on hand. I think a red-skinned apple looks nice.
If you like, feel free to add a bit of peeled chopped apple to the muffin batter, as well.
These muffins bake a quite a high temperature, which is great for getting them to rise up nice and light, but it also means that you’ll want to check on them between 18-20 minutes in to baking and probably loosely lay a piece of foil over-top to prevent them from over-browning for the last 5 minutes of baking.
Making Ahead, Storing and Freezing
These cranberry muffins keep well for a couple of days, stored in an airtight container. These muffins also freeze well.
Get the Recipe: Apple Cranberry Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and levelled
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, or vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup fresh or frozen whole cranberries
- 1 small apple, cored, unpeeled and sliced to thin slices
- Turbinado or coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425 F. (not fan assisted) Line 6-8 muffin cups with paper liners and set on a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and white sugar and beat well for about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between additions. Add vanilla and beat to combine. Add flour mixture, a bit at a time until all added, then add sour cream. Fold in cranberries by hand.
- Scoop batter in to muffin cups. Top with a slice of apple, then sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 18-20 minutes, then check. If already golden enough, loosely lay a piece of aluminum foil over-top. Continue baking another 5 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. *Muffins made with frozen cranberries will take a few minutes longer to bake.
- Remove muffins from muffin tin on to a cooling rack to cool.
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!