These creamy chicken thighs with asparagus is a hearty and delicious, with mini red potatoes, leeks, asparagus and peas for lots of green goodness, too!
This creamy chicken thigh dinner channels my nostalgic love of creamed peas and potatoes, put together with crispy chicken thighs and some more green goodness with the addition of Spring asparagus and leeks. It’s a delicious, all-in-one skillet dinner, sure to satisfy everyone!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Chicken Thighs – I started with bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs, but bone-in/skin on chicken breasts would also work (with a bit longer cooking time). If you wanted to adapt this recipe with boneless chicken breasts or thighs, simply reduce the cooking time.
Potatoes – mini potatoes are specified, but you could certainly cut up a larger potato.
Asparagus – start with fresh asparagus, trimmed of the woody ends.
Leeks – leeks are a nice addition to this dish. Be sure to clean them well! If you don’t have or want to use leeks, simply replace with a little onion.
Peas – fresh or frozen peas will work here.
White Wine – If you don’t have or want to use wine in this recipe, simply replace with additional chicken broth.
Don’t forget to season your sauce at the end, as needed. The proper amount of seasoning will really bring out all the great flavours in this one!
I started out with a stainless steel skillet, but switched to a small roasting pan, to comfortably fit all the ingredients. Unless your skillet is quite large and deep, you may wish to go that route, too. A roasting pan has the added benefit of being able to be used on the stove-top at the end as well, without switching pans again.
Get the Recipe: Creamy Chicken Thighs and Asparagus
- 5 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 leek, root end trimmed, thinly sliced white part only, well rinsed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb red potatoes, small, about 1-inch diameter
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut in to 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 450F. (regular bake setting/no fan assisted).Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large, oven-proof skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet, skin side down and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Turn chicken and cook the other side about 5 minutes, as well. Transfer chicken to a plate. (If there is a lot of fat in the pan, spoon off most of it and discard.)
- Reduce heat to medium. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the wine and allow to simmer about 1 minutes, or until most has evaporated. Add the chicken broth and potatoes, along with a sprinkling of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Bring to a boil, then return chicken to pan, skin side up. (*Note: If your skillet is small, you may wish to transfer it all to a small roasting pan, for more room).
- Place in oven and allow to cook in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, add the asparagus and peas. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and return to the oven until potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes mores. Remove from oven. Remove chicken to a plate and place skillet/roasting pan over medium heat on the stove-top. Mix heavy cream with cornstarch. Stir in to pan sauce to stir to combine. Simmer briefly to thicken sauce. Taste, and season with salt and pepper, as necessary. Spoon pan sauce on to plate with chicken and serve.
More Chicken Thigh Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!