A perfect Fall soup, this creamy carrot soup is flavoured with ginger and uses evaporated milk for creaminess and flavour.
Can you believe the gorgeous colour of this soup! Full of carrots, ginger and a bit of onion and garlic, this delicious soup is made with lots of vegetables and just milk, for some creaminess
For this version, I used canned evaporated milk. I love the flavour and texture of evaporated milk in soups, and it's also easy as it's always ready-to-use and available in my pantry cupboard. If you don't have evaporated milk on hand, regular milk will work, as well.
The key to this soup (and all soups, for that matter) is to be sure to season well with salt and pepper. Generous seasoning will bring all the great flavours of this soup out!
Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, or other neutral oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups carrots, sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk, or regular milk
- Heat oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, ginger and garlic. Saute until tender and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add carrots. Stir to combine well. Add chicken stock. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Puree soup using a hand held immersion blender, blender or food processor. Return to saucepan. Stir in evaporated milk. Cook over low heat 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.