A hearty and healthy Fall Vegetable Soup, featuring Fall vegetables like butternut squash and carrots. Quick and easy, too!
Isn’t this a pretty soup? And not only that, this Fall Vegetable Soup is good for you, too. And did I mention tasty? Yes, this soup is a triple threat!
This soup is a triple threat Pretty, healthy and delicious!
I love this soup because it’s good food and I just feel good eating it. I love the hint of allspice, which is perfect for Fall. I love that I can make it anytime with whatever odds and ends of vegetables happen to be in my fridge. I think you’ll love it, too, so I wanted to share it.
Ingredient Notes for Fall Vegetable Soup
Vegetables: Feel free to use any and all vegetables that you’d like in this soup. As mentioned above, this is a great soup for using up odds and ends of vegetables in your fridge.
Chicken Broth: Swap this for Vegetable Broth for a vegetarian soup.
Kale: Any green will work here, such as chard or spinach.
Canned Diced Tomatoes: You can use fresh tomatoes here and simply dice them yourself.
Beans: Again, use what you have or what you like, from chickpeas, to black beans to kidney or white beans. Or use mixed beans.
Cook’s Notes for Fall Vegetable Soup
My soup picture here features carrots, parsnips, butternut squash, tomatoes, kale and mixed beans (which includes chickpeas, black, kidney and navy beans)
Top Tip! The secret to great soup is learning to season them well with enough salt and freshly ground pepper. Seasoning will bring out all the great flavours. Be sure to taste at the end of cooking and before serving. If it tastes bland, it needs more salt!
More Soup Recipes You Might Like …
Fall Vegetable Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium carrots cut in to medium dice
- 1 large yellow onion cut in to medium dice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups butternut squash peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-cubes (about half a 2-lb. squash)
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- Pinch red pepper flakes or cayenne, or more, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth, for vegetarian
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups kale coarsely chopped, or chard or spinach
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, cannellini beans or mixed beans (I like to use mixed, myself)
- Optional: Garnish with shaved Parmesan or Pecorino
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and onion and cook until they begin to soften, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook stirring for 1 minute. Add the squash, allspice, chilies, and 1 tsp. salt and stir well to combine. Add the broth, tomatoes and their juice, and thyme.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium and cover the pot. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Add the kale and the chickpeas (or beanand cook, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender and the kale has wilted, about 10 minutes.
- Discard the fresh thyme sprigs. Taste and season with more salt and pepper, as necessary. Garnish with shaved Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, if desired.