A hearty and healthy Fall Vegetable Soup, featuring Fall vegetables like butternut squash and carrots. Quick and easy, too!
Isn’t this a pretty soup? And not only that, this Fall Vegetable Soup is good for you, too. And did I mention tasty? Yes, this soup is a triple threat!
I love this soup because it’s good food and I just feel good eating it. I love the hint of allspice, which is perfect for Fall. I love that I can make it anytime with whatever odds and ends of vegetables happen to be in my fridge. I think you’ll love it, too, so I wanted to share it.
Cook’s Notes for Fall Vegetable Soup
My soup features carrots, parsnips, butternut squash, tomatoes, kale and mixed beans (which includes chickpeas, black, kidney and navy beans)
Fall Vegetable Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium carrots cut in to medium dice
- 1 large yellow onion cut in to medium dice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups butternut squash peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-cubes (about half a 2-lb. squash)
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- Pinch crushed chilies or cayenne, or more, to taste
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14.5 ox diced tomatoes canned
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups kale lightly packed and coarsely chopped (alternately, chard or spinach)
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, cannellini beans or mixed beans (I like to use mixed, myself)
- Optional: Garnish with shaved Parmesan or Pecorino
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and onion and cook until they begin to soften, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook stirring for 1 minute. Add the squash, allspice, chilies, and 1 tsp. salt and stir well to combine. Add the broth, tomatoes and their juice, and thyme.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium and cover the pot. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Add the kale and the chickpeas (or beanand cook, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender and the kale has wilted, about 10 minutes.
- Discard the fresh thyme. Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if necessary. Garnish with shaved Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, if desired.