The perfect meal ender, these Irish Cream Chocolate Pudding Shots are smooth, chocolate puddings, flavoured with coffee and Irish Cream liqueur.
I don't think it would come as a shock to anyone that I'm a dessert lover. It's my favourite part of any meal and when it comes to Valentine's, I'm much more likely than not to be making a big chocolate cake and using the day as a perfect opportunity to have seconds :) I know not everyone is like me though, so for those that are looking ahead to Valentine's Day and aren't really in for a big dessert, these are for you!
These little chocolate shots are the perfect few spoonfuls of smooth, rich chocolate, flavoured with coffee and Irish Cream liqueur, for a lovely ending for a special meal. This recipe only makes 2 (maybe 3, if your cups are small) servings. They are perfect served in espresso cups and are just the thing to have a bit of chocolate without the fuss or muss of a grand dessert.
Obviously, the chocolate that you start with will go a long way to determining the finished product. You can make these with anything from chocolate chips to fine artisan chocolate. Your call. Use the chocolate you like or have.
These little chocolate shots are quick to make, but they do require your attention while cooking. It's not the time for multi-tasking. If you over-cook the chocolate pudding, you will end up with chocolate scramble eggs and that's not very appetizing. The trick is to heat the custard just until it thickens and before it boils. That's around 170F. if you have a thermometer (and if you have a thermometer, definitely use it to help you know where you are at).
Even though it takes longer, keep your heat at low and avoid the urge to crank it up to speed it up.
Flavour your chocolate shots by adding 1 Tbsp of any liqueur, such as Irish cream, Kahlua etc. to the pudding mixture.
Irish Cream Chocolate Pudding Shots
- 2 oz semi or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup half and half (10%) cream
- 1 Tbsp brewed espresso or strong brewed coffee
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- Whipped cream, for topping
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Set heat under pan to low. Using a whisk, heat, whisking constantly, until chocolate melts and mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL! *Mixture will thicken at around 170 F, so if you have an instant read thermometer, check the temperature frequently to asses when you are nearing that point. No thermometer? Watch for when your whisk starts to leave marks in the mixture. If you cook a tad long and you get some lumps, you can pour through a fine sieve to remove.
- Immediately pour in to serving cups and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving topped with a dollop of whipped cream.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.