Delicious homemade Jalapeno and Cheese Yeast Bread, flavoured with buttermilk and semolina , for a perfect side for soups or chilli. Makes a killer grilled cheese, too!
I was recently craving a great Jalapeno Cheese bread to have with a big pot of chilli and this loaf was born. The loaf contains a bit of semolina flour, for great flavour and buttermilk, for a bit of tang.
I loved the addition of semolina flour to this bread. It added great flavour! You’ll usually find semolina flour in with the cornmeal at the grocery store. If you can’t find semolina, try using the finest ground cornmeal you have or can find.
The buttermilk also adds great flavour to this bread. If you have some on hand, I’d definitely recommend it. You can also make a quick buttermilk equivalent by souring 1 cup of regular milk with a tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar.
Get the Recipe: Jalapeno and Cheddar Cheese Yeast Bread
- 1 Tbsp. (14.2 g) butter
- 1/4 cup (22.5 g) finely diced jalapenos, ribs and seeds removed
- 2 1/4 tsp. (9 g) active dry or instant yeast
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) warm water, 110 F.
- 1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk, well shaken and at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp. (3 Tbsp.) butter, melted then cooled to room temperature
- 1 (1 ) large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups (375 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (252 g) semolina flour, or fine cornmeal, plus a bit more more to scatter in pan
- 2 Tbsp. (24 g) sugar
- 1 tsp. (6 g) salt, a bit less if you've used salted butter
- 2 cups (226 ml) grated cheddar cheese, plus a bit more for top, if desired
- Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add jalapeno and cook, stirring until just softened, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl of the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a kneading hook, combine the yeast and water. Stir and allow to stand 5 minutes. Add the buttermilk, the 3 Tbsp. melted and cooled butter and the egg and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of the all-purpose flour, the semolina (cornmeal), sugar and salt. Mix to combine. Begin adding addition all-purpose flour in small increments, until you have a smooth, moist (but not sticky) dough. Remove to the dough to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan and sprinkle with a bit of semolina flour or fine cornmeal. Set aside.
- Remove the dough to flour work surface.
- For a filled rolled loaf: roll dough in to a 8-inch x 16 to 18-inch rectangle. Scatter with grated cheddar cheese and cooled jalapeno. Starting with the short edge, roll up jelly-roll style. Place in to prepared 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- For a solid loaf, knead grated cheese and jalapeno in to dough. Form in to a rough 9x5-inch rectangle an place in to prepared pan.
- Cover loaf with greased plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour. *Check at the 45 minute point of cooking and cover loosely with aluminum foil if it is dark enough already.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle top with additional grated cheese, if desired. Bake in preheated oven until the top is deep golden and the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom, about 1 hour. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on a cooling rack.