This homemade Lemon Cake and Sauce is a throwback to the Cake ‘n Sauce mixes that many of us enjoyed over the years.
I’ve been baking up a lemon storm the past few weeks, so I have a lot of lemon to share this week, starting with this wonderfully easy and delicious Lemon Cake and Sauce.
This one is a throwback to those cake ‘n sauce mixes that many of us have enjoyed, except this one is easily made from scratch at home, with regular panty items. Simply mix up the cake batter, then pour the hot lemon sauce mixture over-top and bake. While it bakes, the sauce thickens and sinks to the bottom.
Enjoy this warm from the oven on it’s own, or with a bit of ice cream or whipped cream.
Cook’s Notes for Lemon Cake and Sauce
You’ll note that this recipe calls for Self-Raising flour. I know this flour is easily available here in Canada. You’ll find it in small bags in with the regular flour. BRODIE is the brand I see most often. If you don’t have access to it, I’ve included a substitute that uses regular all-purpose flour.
Don’t skip placing your baking pan or dish on a baking sheet, as you may get some bubble-overs as it cooks.
Speaking of which, use a baking dish that has fairly high sides, if you can. I’ve used my small 6.5-inch Lodge cast iron skillet. It is 8-inches across the top and 6.5 inches across the bottom. If you don’t have that size skillet, a baking pan or dish in the 8-inch range will work fine as well. Look for one with higher sides, to keep the sauce in the pan :)
Lemon Cake and Sauce
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp self-raising flour *see Recipe Notes for substitute
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
For the sauce:
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon strained
- Hot Water
- Icing/confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and grease a 8-inch (top diameter) skillet or similar sized baking dish with high sides. Set on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a medium bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter with the sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. In a small bowl, beat the eggs lightly with a fork. Add to the creamed butter and sugar mixture and beat to combine.
- Stir in the flour, salt and milk and mix just until incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared baking dish, smoothing the top.
- Prepare the sauce by stirring together the cornstarch and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the juice of one lemon to a 2-cup measuring cup, then fill 1 1/4 cup (300ml) level with hot water. Add to the bowl with the sugar and stir to combine. Gently pour the sauce mixture over the cake batter.
- Bake in preheated oven 35-40 minutes, or until lightly golden on top. Allow to stand in the pan for at least 5 minutes, then enjoy warm with a dusting of powdered sugar or a dollop of ice cream or whipped cream.