This bright and fresh lemon ricotta pasta has a creamy sauce, bits of salty prosciutto and fresh, green pea shoots.
I am a big fan of lemon pasta! This version brings ricotta to the game. I love the way ricotta brings both moisture and cheese flavour to the dish. And so easily, too.
This Lemon Ricotta Pasta is one of my favourites. It combines the ricotta with lemon (both juice and zest) for a great fresh flavour. Add in the salty prosciutto and the fresh taste of pea shoots and it’s my idea of pasta perfection.
And best of all? This pasta dish is on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Prosciutto – prosciutto is easy to find in just about any grocery store. If you have a source for Speck, it is a nice alternative to prosciutto in this dish. I love the flavour of Speck. It’s essentially prosciutto-ish, but it’s smoked, instead of air-dried. You’ll usually find it in the store in the same place you find prosciutto.
Pea Shoots (or Pea Sprouts) – pea shoots bright a bright, fresh flavour to this pasta. When it comes to eating them, it really doesn’t matter if they’re labelled shoots or sprouts. The difference usually refers to how and how long they were grown.
No access to pea shoots? Substitute watercress, or try some baby greens, such as baby spinach or baby arugula.
If you’d like to up the veggie quotient of this dish, stir in a cup of cooked green peas.
Get the Recipe: Lemon Ricotta Pasta
- 9 oz pappardelle pasta, or other long pasta
- 1/2 cup green onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 4 slices prosciutto, torn into thin pieces
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Reserved green onion
- Handful pea shoots
- Parmesan cheese
- Boil pasta in salted water according to package directions, RESERVING 1 CUP OF THE PASTA BOILING WATER before draining.
- In a small bowl, stir together the ricotta, salt, pepper, lemon zest and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add about 2/3 of the green onion and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add the ricotta mixture and stir to combine. Turn off heat until pasta is ready.
- When pasta is cooked and drained, add to skillet with ricotta. Heat over medium heat, tossing, and adding some of the reserved pasta water as needed, to loosen the sauce, until warmed. Add prosciutto and parsley. Toss to combine.
- Serve garnished with pea shoots, reserved green onion and a shaving of Parmesan cheese, if desired.
More Pasta Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!