This Homemade Coconut Cream Pie filling takes just minutes to cook on the stove-top and uses both coconut milk and shredded coconut. So delicious and easy. You'll never use a box mix again!
I must confess, there was a time in my life where I thought coconut cream pies just came from a boxed mix. Once I learned otherwise, I've never looked back.
Not only is homemade coconut cream pie more delicious, it doesn't take any longer to make than with that box mix!
This is my favourite coconut cream pie recipe, as it uses both coconut milk and shredded coconut in the filling, for great flavour and texture.
For this pie, you can start with a homemade pie crust or a store-bought one. In either case, you'll need to pre-bake your crust and allow a little time for it to cool before adding the filling.
Once filled, you'll also need to allow several hours refrigeration time for this pie to chill and set up. Allow the filling to chill in the shell first, then you can top with whipped cream and toasted coconut anytime after it's cooled or just before serving, if you prefer.
You could use desiccated coconut for the pie filling instead of shredded that is run through a food processor. I don't usually have desiccated around and don't like to buy two bags of coconut just for that small amount, so I use the food processor to break it up instead.
Be sure to allow enough time for things to cool. Your pie crust needs to be cool before you add the filling. Your filling needs to be cooled before you add the whipped cream topping. From start to finish, you'll need at least about 3 hours.
Be sure to cook your pudding until bubbles break the surface and the mixture thickens noticeably. It should be pudding consistency.
Simply Perfect Homemade Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie shell, pre-baked
For the Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, full-fat
- 1 1/2 cups half and half cream, 10% b.f.
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, run through a food processor to make smaller pieces
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Topping:
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted (*see Step 3 below for toasting instructions)
- Bake the pie shell and set aside to cool completely.
- Prepare the filling by combining the coconut milk, cream, eggs, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large saucepan. Place over medium-low heat and cook, stirring regularly to start, then constantly once it starts to steam. This will take about 10-15 minutes, so be patient. Once mixture noticeably thickens and bubbles break the surface, it’s done. Remove from the heat and add the 1/4 cup processed coconut and the vanilla. Whisk to remove any lumps. Pour into pre-baked and cooled pie shell. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To toast the coconut: Add coconut to a skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Remove from heat and transfer to a plate to cool completely.
- Before serving, whip the whipping cream with the sugar and spread over the top of the pie. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.