This delicious Lemon Risotto is a wonderful meatless main dish or enjoy it as side dish with any meat, fish or seafood!
Lemon risotto is one of my favourite dishes any time of year, but this time of year, I like to freshen and lighten it up with some fresh pea shoots. It makes a delicious meatless main dish or a lovely side dish.
We are lucky here in Muskoka to have a great hydroponic greens grower, that keeps our local, small town grocery stores well stocked with shoots and sprouts of all sorts. I love the fresh flavour that sprouts brings to all kinds of dishes. The natural lemon flavour of this dish is perfectly suited for a bit of shrimp or chicken on top, too!
Adjust the lemon juice/zest in this recipe to your taste. The recipe starts with a minimum amount, so you can add more as needed. Be sure to taste at the end and add salt and pepper as needed, as well.
Lemon Risotto with Pea Shoots
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 large shallots, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 Tbsp butter, for finishing
- 1 cup Fresh pea shoots
- Bring chicken broth to simmer in large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cover to keep warm.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 Tbsp. butter with olive oil. Add shallots and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add rice and cooking, stirring constantly until rice is well coated with butter, about 1 minute. Add wine and stir until wine has evaporated, about 30 seconds. Add 1 ladle of warm chicken stock and simmer, stirring regularly, until absorbed. Add remaining broth 1 ladle-full at a time, allowing broth to be completely absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently until rice is creamy and tender, about 30 minutes. (Do a taste test of rice as you near the end of the chicken broth).
- When rice is ready, stir in cheese and 1/2 Tbsp. butter. Stir in a hand-full of pea shoots and cook, stirring, until they wilt. Stir in lemon juice and lemon zest. Season risotto with salt and pepper. Taste test and add more lemon juice and/or zest, to taste. Transfer to bowl and serve topped with fresh pea shoots.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.