This delicious Rhubarb Crumb Cake is a lovely moist and light rhubarb coffee cake, topped with a crunchy crumb topping!
My rhubarb has just now poked out of the ground, but thankfully, I had one last bag of last year’s rhubarb in my freezer that needed using up. And I have to say, there’s almost no better use of it that this cake!
This is a great snacking cake and it keeps really well! We were still grabbing pieces of this cake 5 days out and it was just as good as the first day.
You can start with fresh rhubarb or frozen. If using frozen, you don’t need to thaw it before using in this cake.
Cook’s Notes for Rhubarb Crumb Cake
This cake is perfect for baking ahead, as it stays moist really well (covered at room temperature). It also freezes well!
Of course, if you can’t get hold of (or don’t like) rhubarb, you can swap out just about any fruit (fresh or frozen) for the rhubarb.
Rhubarb Crumb Cake
For the crumb topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter softened
For the cake:
- 3 cups rhubarb fresh or un-thawed frozen
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup butter at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Make the crumb topping: In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugars and cinnamon. Using your fingers, rub in the butter, squeezing to form clumps. Place bowl in freezer until needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Make the cake: In a large bowl with an electric mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter with 2/3 cup white sugar until combine. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla. Scrape down bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With mixer on low, stir in flour alternately with sour cream, making 3 additions of the flour and 2 additions of the sour cream.
- Spread batter in to a parchment-lined 9x9-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle batter with 1/2 of the crumb mixture. Top with rhubarb. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. white sugar over the rhubarb, then top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake in the centre of oven until tester comes out clean, about 55-65 minutes.