A perfect meatless main dish, this lemon risotto is topped with pan-fried shiitake mushrooms. It would also be a great side dish for grilled chicken, shrimp or fish.
Risotto is one of my favourite ways to enjoy a meatless meal and lemon risotto is one of my favourites.
Adding pan fried shiitake mushrooms on top, makes this dish a little “meatier”. For a little green, I also love the bit of wilted arugula.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Lemons – you can use regular lemons or Meyer lemons, if they happen to be in season.
Arugula – I love the slightly peppery note of arugula, but baby spinach could also be used.
Shiitake Mushrooms – shiitake mushrooms are a lovely treat, but any mushroom will work and is fine here.
While risotto does require some attention, it really doesn’t require constant attention. Regular stirring is sufficient. No need for constant stirring. Be sure to taste at the end and add salt, pepper and maybe a touch more lemon juice, if needed.
Make this dish gluten free by using gluten free chicken broth or vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
This risotto recipe will serve 2 as a meatless main dish, or 4 or a side dish. It’s perfect as a side for grilled chicken, shrimp or fish.
Get the Recipe: Lemon Risotto with Shiitake Mushrooms
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 small shallot, finely diced or 2 Tbsp. onion
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan, packed
- A couple of handfuls of baby arugula
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 shiitake mushrooms, stem removed and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Lemon zest, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, heat broth over medium heat until steaming.
- In a large frying pan, over medium heat, melt 3 Tbsp. butter. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened. Add rice and stir, until coated in butter, about 45 seconds. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until the alcohol smell burns off, about 1 minutes. Add one ladle-full of the warm chicken broth and cook, stirring regularly, until the broth disappears. Add another ladle-full and continue cooking, adding ladles of broth as it disappears, until all the broth is gone.
- Meanwhile, in another frying pan over medium heat, melt 1 Tbsp. butter. Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil, then add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring regularly, until golden brown. Keep warm over low heat.
- When the risotto is almost cooked (when adding the last ladle-full of broth) add the lemon zest, lemon juice and Parmesan. Stir to combine. Add the arugula and cook, stirring, until wilted. Taste risotto and add salt and freshly ground pepper, as needed.
- Spoon risotto onto plates or shallow bowls. Top with warm shiitakes and a bit of lemon zest.
More Risotto Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!