Easy and delicious, these rosemary olive oil smashed potatoes are at home at breakfast, brunch or dinner!
I don’t often think to share simple potato dishes like this, because they are, well … so simple :) That said, potatoes are a regular side dish around here and if I’ve learned anything over the years, sometimes the simplest dishes are the stars of the plate.
These smashed potatoes are one of those, I think. Little potatoes, boiled, smashed and cooked with homemade rosemary-infused olive oil and cooked to crispy perfection. And of course, salt. Lots of salt.
What sets these apart from the normal smashed potatoes? The quick and easy, homemade, rosemary-infused olive oil. Applied liberally so it soaks into the potatoes, delivers the most fabulous flavour!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Potatoes – I started with mini potatoes here, but any size potato would work. Just the boiling time at the start will change. Simply boil until fork tender, however long that takes.
Rosemary – fresh sprigs of rosemary will produce the nicest results, but dried rosemary leaves can be used in a pinch.
Olive Oil – extra virgin olive oil will work best here.
- Be sure not to rush your potatoes out of the oven. You want creamy in the middle and crispy on the outside, so allow them enough time in the oven to get there.
- If you’re feeling garlic, throw a whole clove of garlic or two into the oil while it’s heating.
- These smashed potatoes are at home at breakfast or brunch, next to eggs and bacon or as a side for any meat. Great side for BBQ season’s grilled meats!
- You will probably have left-over rosemary olive oil. Pour it in a jar and pop it in the fridge, then you’ll be all ready for another batch of these, without having to do the olive oil part again. It will keep several weeks in the fridge.
Be sure to generously salt your potato boiling water, so that a nice bit of saltiness infuses the potatoes as they cook.
Get the Recipe: Rosemary Olive Oil Smashed Potatoes
Rosemary Olive Oil:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 4-5 inch long sprigs fresh rosemary
- 24 mini potatoes, white or red skinned
- 1 teaspoon salt, for boiling water
- Maldon or other coarse salt
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add salt generously. Add potatoes and boil until just fork tender (anywhere from 10-20 minutes, depending on the size of your potatoes).
- Meanwhile, Add olive oil to a saucepan and heat over low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until just fragrant. Remove from heat. Strain out rosemary and discard. Set infused oil aside.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Prepare a baking sheet by brushing a layer of your rosemary oil all over the bottom of the pan.
- When your potatoes are tender, drain well and allow to cool a few minutes. Spread potatoes out on oiled baking sheet, allowing a couple of inches in between. Using the back of a fork, gently press down on the potatoes, until they burst. Continue until all the potatoes are smashed. Brush liberally with rosemary oil and sprinkle with a little coarse salt.
- Roast in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, then remove and brush again with olive oil. Return to oven and roast until golden brown on the bottom and sides, about 10 minutes longer for really small potatoes, up to 20 minutes longer if they are a bit larger.
- If you'd like your potatoes crispier, pop them under a hot broiler for a few minutes.
- Remove from oven and give one final brush with rosemary oil, then sprinkle with a bit more coarse salt.
More Potato Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!