A quick and easy corn side dish recipe, this corn and pepper skillet can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature. Make it in the oven or completely on the BBQ!
There are a lot of reasons to love about the corn and pepper skillet ...
It's a great, easy and flavourful side dish for any meat or fish. It can be cooked in the oven or if it's too hot to turn on the oven, make it completely on the BBQ! It's a great use for corn on the cob that's a tiny bit past its prime. As we'll be roasting it up, it's fine to use corn that has dried out a bit.
When fresh corn is not in season, make this one with frozen or canned corn, instead!
And last, but not least, it's really, delicious. The corn, red and poblano peppers are roasted to sweet and lightly spicy perfection. On top, a scattering of quick pickled red onions, feta cheese and fresh cilantro add great colour and flavour. There's also a lovely, tangy Crema, that you can drizzle on to take it up a notch even more.
You could definitely eat this hot out of the oven or off the grill, but I enjoy it most just slightly warm or at room temperature, especially for Summer eating.
As noted, you could use frozen or canned corn instead of corn cut off the cob for this dish. For frozen corn, I would thaw it a bit first, if possible, so that it starts cooking more quickly.
I can't find Mexican cotija cheese in these parts, but if you can find it, you could use it instead of the feta.
You can spice this one up as you like, with a pinch of cumin or chili powder on the vegetables before roasting.
This dish makes a great vegetarian filling for tacos and quesadillas, too!
Too hot to turn on the oven? How to make this on the BBQ!
Heat grill to high (or about 400 F. if your grill has a thermometer). Heat the cast-iron skillet inside a closed grill for 5 minutes, then follow the recipe by roasting inside the closed grill for 15 minutes, stirring once. Allow to cook, stirring on an open grill over flame to char it up a bit. Remove from grill and allow to cool a bit. Top per the recipe and enjoy!
More corn recipes you might also like ...
Oven Corn and Pepper Skillet
- 3 cobs corn, kernels cut off (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 medum red bell pepper, seeded, cored and roughly diced
- 1/2 medium orange bell pepper, seeded, cored and roughly diced
- 1/4 large red onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges, for drizzling
- Place skillet in cold oven. Preheat oven to 400 F., leaving the skillet in the preheating oven to heat. Allow skillet to stay in the oven 5-10 after oven is preheated.
- Meanwhile, cut kernels off corn and combine in a bowl with the diced peppers and sliced red onion. Drizzle with olive oil and season with a bit of salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir well to combine.
- When skillet is good and hot, carefully remove from oven and add corn mixture. Quickly spread in an even layer and place in oven. Roast for 15-20 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until corn and peppers are tender. Remove skillet and stir mixture. Allow to stand a few minutes before serving.
- To serve, top with crumbled feta cheese and chopped cilantro and serve with lime wedges for drizzling.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.