Delicious Mini Cherry Tomato and Bocconcini Pizza, with a quick and easy homemade pizza base, oven-roasted cherry tomatoes combine with bocconcini, Parmesan and mozzarella for a delicious lunch or dinner treat.
When it comes to pizzas, I love them in all shapes and forms. This one is a favourite for when I'm craving warm bread and cheese goodness (which honestly, is embarrassingly often ;) The pizza base bakes up almost foccacia-like, and is quickly and easily made from scratch. Just mix and allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
Once shaped, the pizza base is topped with a layer of fresh basil and garlic mixed with olive oil. Next is a sprinkling of Parmesan, cherry tomatoes, torn bocconcini and a final sprinkling of mozzarella cheese. Pop into the oven for 30 minutes and enjoy!
A couple of points to make it even better - crush the cherry tomatoes. By that, I mean "pop" them, discarding the liquid and seeds. To make this job a little less messy, I cut a small slit in the tomatoes first, then place a paper towel over a shallow bowl while I do the popping. This helps keep the moisture level in these pizzas under control, to avoid soggy bread, while allowing the tomatoes to cook down into perfectly rich nuggets of tomato goodness.
Secondly, use a generous hand with salt and pepper, to heighten all the great flavours.
Mini Cherry Tomato and Bocconcini Pizzas
For the pizza base:
- 1 tsp. instant or active dried yeast
- 3/4 tsp. white sugar
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- Assortment of cherry tomatoes, about 24-30
- 6 oz. bocconcini, drained and torn
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Fresh baby arugula, to serve
- For the pizza base: Place the yeast, sugar and water in a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface. Place the flour, salt and oil in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture, stirring until a dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding more flour, as necessary. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 415° F.
- To crush cherry tomatoes, cut a small slit in the side of each one with a knife and gently squeeze to release seeds and liquid. Discard seeds and liquid. (*Note: this can be messy, so I like to cover the top with a sheet of paper towel while I do this).
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and roll out each one to 6-7 inch rounds. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the basil, garlic and enough olive oil to make a spreadable paste. Divide mixture between 4 pizza bases and spread evenly on top of base. Top with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Place 6-7 cherry tomatoes on each pizza, then add some torn bocconcini to each one. Sprinkle generously with salt and freshly ground pepper, then sprinkle top with mozzarella.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the bases are crispy and golden. Top with arugula to serve.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.