Easy and delicious, this breakfast pita pizza is made easy with a pita bread crust, Fontina cheese, bacon, spinach and off course, a runny egg!
Time and time again, my kitchen teaches me that the best things I eat are often the most simple things I make. This Breakfast Pita Pizza is just such a dish. A few minutes of prep and 10 minutes in the oven delivers up one of the most delicious bites I’ve had in a while!
What makes this dish so perfect? Well first … runny egg yolks! (And I love my eggs really runny). Combine that with a crispy, baked pita (perfect for scooping up that yolk), nutty, melted Fontina cheese, a bit of salty bacon, some wilted greens and a finish of freshly ground pepper and a light sprinkling of Parmesan and you have a great way to start any day.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Pitas – I’ve used whole wheat pita breads here, but any pita bread is fine.
Bacon – It’s ideal if you happen to have some cooked bacon around, to make this dish even quicker, but even if you don’t, it cooks up quickly if you dice it first and cook in a hot pan for a few minutes. You can also use partially cooked bacon. Just crumble. It will finish cooking in the oven. Depending on the saltiness of the bacon and the cheese you use, you may not need additional salt on this dish. Taste first before adding any more.
Spinach – baby spinach is classic, but you could also use arugula here.
Cheese – I guess it goes without saying that the choice of cheese is up to you. I love Fontina. It melts beautifully and it’s nutty flavour combines so well with the other flavours. Swiss, Gruyere, Gouda or a sharp cheddar or mozzarella would also work well. And I don’t think you could go at all wrong with a few bits of goat cheese on top of the spinach, for a bit of tangy cheese.
Be sure to watch closely for the last few minutes of baking. You want to catch it just as soon as the egg white firms up and the egg yolk is still runny (as runny as you like it, anyway). You can give the yolk a little poke and see how much it jiggles.
Get the Recipe: Breakfast Pita Pizza
- 2 whole wheat pitas
- 1 cup + Fontina cheese, shredded (or Swiss, Gruyere, Gouda, cheddar, mozzarella)
- Pinch red pepper flakes, (for a little heat)
- 1/4 cup bacon, crumbled pre-cooked (2-3 slices, diced and cooked)
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 large eggs
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 475° F with rack in centre of oven.
- Place two pitas onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle with grated cheese and some crumbled bacon (you don’t need a ton, just a bit here and there). Scatter a bit of red pepper flakes over top, if using. Break an egg in the middle.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and arrange a ring of spinach around the outside, avoiding covering the egg. Return to the oven and bake an additional 3-5 minutes, depending on how runny you want your egg. Watch closely so you don’t over cook the egg. I like to give the yolk a poke and see how much it jiggles, to judge. Remember it will cook a bit more once it comes out of the oven.
- Meanwhile, place two pieces of parchment paper about the same size as a pita onto a cutting board (*Using parchment ensures that when you cut the pita, you don’t leave all the great egg yolk behind on the cutting board!). Transfer the baked pitas to the cutting board, placing on top of the parchment. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut each pita into four pieces, cutting through the yolk. Transfer pita on parchment paper to a serving plate.
- Garnish with a bit of freshly grated Parmesan and some freshly ground pepper. Don’t add extra salt until you’ve tasted it. You may find that it is salty enough with the bacon and cheese.
More Fabulous Breakfast Recipes!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!