A delicious pear grilled cheese sandwich, with pear, Gouda cheese and balsamic onion. It is a delicious Fall comfort food indulgence and a delicious way to enjoy Fall pears.
This pear grilled cheese starts with a lovely seedy bread. It’s spread with mayonnaise, then grilled in butter, then cooked low and slow to allow the cheese to melt. The sandwich is also weighted down as it cooks, to achieve a perfect and consistent grill. It may seem like a lot or work, but when it comes to sandwiches like this, if you’re in, make it perfect!
And when you sit down to this one, you will be richly rewarded – with the nutty, creamy gouda and the sweet pears and the lovely onions that are just the perfect savoury foil. Certainly not everyday food, but a worthy splurge this time of year.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Pears – you can use can use any ripe, but still firm pear. No need to peel unless you want to.
Gouda Cheese – Gouda cheese pairs beautifully with pears, but Brie, Camembert or Goat Cheese would also be nice here.
Bread – I love this grilled cheese with a seedy or multigrain bread, but you can use any bread you have or enjoy.
As mentioned above, if you’re aiming for the perfect grilled cheese, it will require patience. Low and slow is the way to go, so resist the urge to crank the heat up.
Get the Recipe: Gouda and Pear Grilled Cheese
For 1 Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Double as necessary.
- 1/2 small onion, sliced in to rings
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch salt
For the Sandwich:
- 2 slices multigrain bread, or bread of your choice
- 1 Tablespoon butter, cut in half
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Gouda cheese, shredded or Brie, Camembert or Goat Cheese
- 1/2 pear, ripe but still firm, unpeeled, halved cored and thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- Balsamic Onions, from above
- Make the balsamic onions: Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a skillet. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft and golden, about 5 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, sugar and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until syrupy, about 2 minutes more. Set aside.
- Prepare cheese and pears and set aside.
- In a skillet, melt 1/2 Tbsp of the butter over medium heat. Spread one slice of the bread with 1/2 of the mayonnaise. Place mayonnaise side down on top of the butter. Quickly top bread with 1/2 the cheese, a single layer of the pear slices (you may not need all), a grind of pepper, the balsamic onions, then the rest of the cheese. Top with second bread slice. Reduce heat to medium-low. Place a plate on top of the sandwich, concave side down, to act as a weight (a dinner plate works well here). Allow to cook a few minutes, checking the underside of the sandwich regularly. When golden, remove plate from top. Spread the top of the sandwich with the remaining mayonnaise. Lift sandwich with a spatula. Add the remaining 1/2 Tbsp butter to the pan and allow to melt. Return sandwich to skillet, mayonnaise spread side down and cook as before with a plate over-top, until golden on the underside. Remove to a cutting board. Cut in half and enjoy!
More Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!