A delicious roasted tomatoes and feta is a great tomato side dish, especially with winter tomatoes. Nice for the buffet table, too!
This lovely warm tomato bake is all about slow, dry roasting and transforming tomatoes into little bites of rich, tomato-y goodness. This dish is especially nice in Winter, when tomatoes are not at their best. Roasting helps turn even average tomatoes into wonderfully rich flavours.
Smaller cherry tomatoes on the vine would be a great choice in place of these larger ones. Look for different shapes, sizes and colours of small-ish tomatoes, aiming for nothing larger than golf-ball size. Any large tomato will work for the slices.
Feta is such interesting cheese. Despite extended time in the oven, it really doesn’t melt in any way. It remains firm and really just warms. Just remember that feta is very salty, so watch the amount of extra salt you add to the dish. I try to control myself and not add any additional salt until the end and then, only as needed.
This dish is a great weeknight side with chicken or fish. It’s also perfect for a buffet table as it holds its own while it sits and is delicious warm or at room temperature, so no need to worry about keeping this one hot. And finally, this dish is winter perfect, when tomatoes are less than fresh-from-the-field and no where near as flavourful. Roasting can transform them into something wonderful, so there’s no need to pass by them in the store during the winter any more!
Get the Recipe: Warm Roasted Tomatoes and Feta
- 1 medium red or yellow onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Variety of small tomatoes, (such as cherry, grape etc. no larger than golf-ball size)
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into thick slices
- 6-7 oz feta cheese, cut into 3/4" thick slices
- leaves Fresh basil, (or 1/2-1 tsp. dried basil)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- t Salt, for finishing (*feta is salty, so don' salt until the end and only a bit is needed)
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Cut onion into thin wedges. Place in baking dish or roasting pan and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Roast in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. Place feta slices into roasting pan and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Scatter any feta crumbles around the pan. Place a large tomato slice over most of the large rounds of feta. Scatter smaller tomatoes around the pan. Give one final drizzle of olive oil over tomatoes and a bit of freshly ground pepper (if using dried basil, you can add now, as well). Return to the oven and roast another 35-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then lower the heat and simmer until reduced by half. Set aside.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves, a bit of salt and drizzle with the reduced balsamic vinegar. Serve warm.