Crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside, these salt and malt vinegar roasted potatoes are russet potatoes basted with olive oil, salt and malt vinegar as they cook, for great flavour!
These roasted potatoes are twice-cooked, basted with a olive oil, salt and malt vinegar mixture, then baked up to crispy, flavourful goodness. They are great beside a steak or other grilled meat. Enjoy them on their own or serve with a dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream, if you like.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Russet Potatoes – these are the classic baking potatoes, usually large and oblong. It doesn’t really matter what size your russet potatoes are to start, but pick out potatoes that are of similar size, so they cook evenly.
Malt Vinegar – look for malt vinegar in with the other vinegars at the grocery store. It is generally easy to find.
Don’t rush the first cooking of your potatoes. Make sure they are cooked through at this point. Even though they will have a second baking, if your potatoes are undercooked at this point, the second bake may not be enough.
I find the microwave the easiest way to do the first cooking of the potatoes, but you can always just go with a standard oven bake. Simply place your potatoes on a baking sheet and cook at 425F for 45-60 minutes, or as needed to cook through.
Save some time by doing the first cooking of the potatoes ahead. Allow to cool, then cover the top of the potatoes and refrigerate. Score and do the second baking later on!
Get the Recipe: Salt and Malt Roasted Potatoes
- 3 Russet potatoes, of similar size
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, whole, lightly crushed
- 1/3 cup malt vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- Coarse finishing salt, such as Maldon's (optional)
- Scrub potatoes and poke top a couple of times with a fork. Place on a plate and microwave for 10-20 minutes (depending on size) or until tender. *Test with a sharp knife that you slide through the side of the potatoes. It should pass through easily, without resistance.
- (Alternately, you can bake the potatoes in a 425F oven on a baking sheet for 45-60 minutes).
- Remove and allow to sit until cool enough to handle, 10-15 minutes. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise. Allow to cool further. *Make ahead! Once mostly cooled, place a bit of plastic wrap over just the top/cut side of the potato and refrigerate until later.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Score potato flesh by cutting diagonal lines only through the flesh (not the skin!), then repeating making diagonal lines in the other direction, to make a diamond pattern on top of the potatoes. Place potatoes on a baking sheet.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, combine the olive oil and garlic. Microwave for 1 minute. Set aside. In another small bowl, combine the malt vinegar and salt. Microwave for 45 seconds, then remove and stir mixture to dissolve salt. Add the vinegar mixture to the olive oil mixture. Whisk with a fork to combine well.
- Generously brush tops of scored potatoes with oil and vinegar mixture.
- Place into preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Re-whisk vinegar mixture, then generously brush top of potatoes again. Return to oven for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Re-whisk vinegar mixture, then generously brush tops again, but before returning to oven, flip potatoes over, so the cut side is down. Bake a further 10 minutes, or until lovely and golden underneath.
- Remove from oven and give potatoes one final brush with vinegar mixture and sprinkle with finishing salt, if using.
More Potato Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!