This lovely peach and blueberry cake is perfect to enjoy any time of day. It can be baked up in a skillet or any baking dish. Enjoy it is, or with a scoop of ice cream, for a great summer dessert.
I think the combination of peach and blueberries might just be my favourite. They complement each other so perfectly, that every summer, I just need to bake something up with them. This Peach and Blueberry Cake is moist, sweetened with brown sugar, for great flavour and topped with a pretty peach and blueberry decoration.
I was going for a sunflower effect, but ran out of peaches. I think the result is still pretty and it takes only a bit of time to place them on top of the batter before baking. If you want to ensure that they don't sink, you could bake the cake for 20 minutes or so before placing them on top of the cake. If you're entertaining and looking to impress, that's the route I would go :)
This cake is lovely with peaches and blueberries, but could obviously be made with any fruit or combination of fruits. Experiment with what's in season or what you have around that you need to use up!
You could use frozen blueberries in this cake, but I wouldn't use frozen peaches. I just don't think they'd stand up. Fresh nectarines would also be great, instead of peaches.
This cake is perfectly sweet, with lots of fruit, so it's very moist. That said, it is best eaten on the day it's baked, as the moisture will increase the longer it sits. This would freeze well if you can't eat it all right away.
Skillet Peach and Blueberry Cake
For the cake batter:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 peach (peeled, pitted and cut into large chunks)
- 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen, or a bit more, if you like)
For the top of the cake:
- 2 peaches (unpeeled and cut into thin slices)
- 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Turbinado (white or brown sugar, for sprinkling over-top)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter with the brown sugar until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and sour cream and mix in. Scrape down side of bowl as needed. Add flour mixture and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Fold chunks of peach and 1/2 cup blueberries in to the batter, then spread the batter into a greased skillet (10-inch top diameter works well) or a 9-inch cake or springform pan. Arrange peach slices in a circular pattern on top of the batter, around the outside of the cake. Fill the centre with a mound of blueberries.
- Bake in pre-heated 350 F. oven for 45-50 minutes, or until deep golden and a tester inserted near the centre comes out clean.