Quick, easy and delicious, this spinach artichoke pizza channels the famous dip, in pizza form! Use your favourite homemade pizza dough or start with easy store-bought.
Much to my husband's delight, the Seahawks are still in it, so that means it's time for another episode of Football Food Friday! I spotted this recipe in the current issue of Martha Stewart Living and when I saw it I said "Hello Lover!". No I didn't. I would never say that ;) I did say that it looked like pretty darned perfect football watching food though.
I did take some liberties with the original recipe - more garlic, more cheese. I think we can all agree that spinach and artichoke needs lots of garlic. And well ... more cheese is just pretty much a given in my world. If you are a lover of the dip of the same name, you'll love this pizza. Though not nearly as rich as the dip, the flavours are all there, with a lovely crisp pizza crust to go with it.
Cook's Notes for Spinach Artichoke Skillet Pizza
You can use your favourite homemade pizza dough or pick up a store-bought one to make this really easily.
My skillet is 10 inches in diameter across the top. Note that the recipe calls for 1 lb. of pizza dough. Whether homemade or store-bought, you don't want much more than that in a 10-inch skillet. If your skillet is larger (12-inch), you can obviously use a bit more. I noticed that the store-bought dough at most grocery stores here is about 650g., which although I am metric-challenged, is more like a pound and a half. So if you have to buy a bigger dough ball, simply remove part of it and freeze it for a little pizza later.
I used mozzarella and Parmesan, together with the ricotta cheese. Of course, cheeses like Gruyere or a few dollops of cream cheese would also be worth exploring, I think :)
Spinach Artichoke Skillet Pizza
- 1 lb. pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2 large cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt ((plus a bit more, to taste, if desired))
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 13oz. can artichoke hearts (drained and quartered, if whole)
- 1-1 1/2 cups baby spinach
- Parmesan (for garnish)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- Place 10-inch cast iron skillet in to cold oven and preheat oven to 500 F. with the skillet in the oven. Leave in the oven 5-10 minutes after the oven has preheated.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta, mozzarella, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside. Prepare the artichokes and set aside. On a well-floured surface, press/stretch your pizza dough out in to a roughly 10-inch circle and have ready.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven and brush with a bit of olive oil. Carefully fit the pizza dough in to skillet, pushing it up the sides slightly. Do be careful here! Skillet is hot!! Place skillet with dough only in oven and bake 2-3 minutes, or until it sets slightly.
- Remove from oven and top with cheese mixture, spreading to cover evenly (except raised sides). Top with artichokes. Return to oven and bake for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, toss spinach with a bit of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Remove skillet from oven, top with spinach and return to the oven for a final 7-10 minutes, or until topping is bubbling and crust is crisp.
- Top with shredded Parmesan cheese. Let cool a few minutes before serving, to allow it to set a bit.