A delicious, made from scratch BBQ Chicken Skillet Pizza is perfect for pizza night! Tons of flavour and easy to make!
TGIF! And I have an absolutely delicious pizza to share with you today. From an absolutely beautiful and delicious new cookbook.
I first discovered Alaska From Scratch many years ago. I was immediately drawn to her site for both the delicious food she shared, but also for the glimpse she provided into life in Alaska, through the most beautiful photos. And I soon learned that the woman behind the site, Maya, was also a wonderful, talented and beautiful person. So I couldn’t be happier to share with you today her brand new, first cookbook!
Inside this cookbook, you will find a wonderful collection of Alaska landscape photos, personal stores and of course, delicious recipes. As Maya enjoys a climate similar to mine, it’s no surprise you will find lots of comfort food in here, but with a distinctive Alaska flavour and a perfect blend of comfort with healthy and fresh. You’ll love that all of the recipes are perfect for everyday cooking – nothing super fancy or complicated here – just lots of delicious.
If you’re looking to add a solid, beautiful and useful cookbook to your cookbook collection, look no further. You’ll find the Alaska from Scratch cookbook on Amazon or wherever fine cookbooks are sold!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Yeast – Instant yeast is specified here, such as SAF yeast. Bread machine yeast will also work here. Active Dry yeast is not recommended, as it needs to be proofed in liquid to activate it.
Flour – ’00’ flour is classic Italian flour and is becoming easier to find in grocery stores these days. It is often available in two different varieties – pizza or pasta. Obviously, opt for the pizza version. If you can’t find it, regular bread flour is a good substitute. In a pinch, just use all purpose flour.
Cilantro – I’m not always a cilantro lover, but when it’s cooked, I actually really like the flavour, so don’t hesitate to give it a try here, even if you would usually pass ;)
You can start with your favourite store-bought pizza dough as well, if you’re not wanting to make your own pizza dough.
I used some left-over, cooked boneless chicken thighs that I had on hand, instead of chicken breast. Any cooked chicken would work well here, even some meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
Get the Recipe: BBQ Chicken Skillet Pizza
For the dough:
- 2 1/2 cups '00' or bread flour, see notes below
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons + 2 Tablespoons olive oil, DIVIDED
- 1 cup + 3 Tablespoons water
For the pizza:
- 1 cup chicken breast, cooked, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups barbeque sauce, DIVIDED
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- To make the dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, yeast, 2 teaspoons of the olive oil and the water. Stir with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough forms. Do not knead the dough. Cover and allow to rise for 8 hours or up to 24. The dough should reside substantially inside the bowl.
- Carefully transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Divide the dough in half and for 2 balls.
- Grease two 12-inch cast-iron skillets with the remaining 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Place a ball of dough into each pan, turning it to coat it entirely in oil an all sides. Using your palm, flatten the dough gently, pressing it out toward the edges of the pan. Don't worry about getting it perfect at this stage; it will cover the pan more easily after it rises. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and allow it to rise for 2 hours on the countertop.
- Preheat oven to 550F.
- Using your fingertips, press the risen dough lightly to cover the bottom of the pan entirely.
- To make the toppings: Place the chicken in a bowl. Pour in 1/4 cup of the barbecue sauce and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the remaining 1 cup barbecue sauce evenly onto each of the pizzas. Sprinkle each pizza with 1 cup of the cheese. Evenly distribute the barbecue chicken between the 2 pizzas. Sprinkle each pizza liberally with red onion and cilantro.
- Bake for 15 minute, or until golden brown on the bottom, bubbly and fragrant. Carefully transfer the pizzas to a cutting board and allow them to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
More Skillet Pizza Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!