This Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler is the ultimate late Spring fruit dessert! Sweet, crunchy, buttery and fruit filled.
Welcome to Sweet Saturday and yes, that's totally a thing :) Today I wanted to share an absolutely delicious way to enjoy the classic strawberry rhubarb combination that I think might be just the thing to make your Saturday sweeter.
This Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler features a generous layer of warm fruit, topped with a delicious biscuit topping and a layer of crumbs, that crisp up beautifully as they cook.
This is one of those desserts where you just spoon out in to a bowl and serve warm with a spoonful of whipped cream or ice cream.
Cook's Notes for Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
You'll notice that the recipe provides a range of sugar for the fruit filling. If you love a tart, less sweet fruit layer, go with the 1/2 cup of sugar. For those who like it sweeter, 3/4 cup of sugar is the way to go. I think the sweetness of your strawberries may also dictate. If starting with super sweet, fresh picked berries you can probably reduce the sugar accordingly. For out-of-season, less sweet strawberries, a bit more sugar might be in order.
If you don't have or want to use a skillet for this dessert, simply use any deep baking dish in the 8 - 10-inch diameter or square range.
This dessert has the potential to bubble over, particularly if you baking dish is not super deep. Baking on top of a baking sheet is probably a good idea.
No buttermilk? Use a scant 1/2 cup of regular milk combined with 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice instead!
Skillet Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
- 1/2-3/4 cup white sugar (depending on your taste for tart or sweet fruit filling)
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 cups rhubarb chopped
- 3 cups strawberries chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter cold, cut i to 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup buttermilk cold
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp butter cold, cut into 4 pieces
- Preheat oven to 355 F with rack in centre of oven. Grease a 10-inch top diameter skillet or similar sized baking dish and set on top of a baking sheet. Set aside.
- For the filling: All all the filling ingredients to your prepared baking dish and stir well to coat fruit.
- For the Cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Add the cold butter pieces. Using your fingertips, rub the butter in to the flour mixture until the mixture is crumbly, with butter pieces no larger than the size of a pea. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Add to the flour/butter mixture and stir just until the mixture is evenly moistened. Spoon mixture over the fruit filling in the skillet.
- For the Topping: In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and flour. Add the cold butter and rub the butter together with the flour and sugar until you have a crumbly mixture. Scatter over-top of cake layer.
- Bake at 355 F. for about 45 minutes, or until top is golden and filling is bubbling.