Move over loaded potato soup! This Loaded Cauliflower Soup is a little lighter and just as delicious! A great Fall soup!
I’m sure many of you have enjoyed a loaded potato soup at one time or another. This Loaded Cauliflower soup is a great Fall version of that hearty winter soup. It’s lightened up with cauliflower, instead of potatoes, and just as delicious. Perfect this time of year when cauliflower is in season and so economical.
Enjoy this soup as a nice lunch soup or pair it with a salad or sandwich for dinner.
Cook’s Notes for Loaded Cauliflower Soup
This soup uses milk. No cream needed! I prefer to use whole (3%) or 2%. I wouldn’t recommend 1% or skim, as it will make for a thin soup.
You can use “lite” sour cream here, if you prefer.
Be sure to season your soup well! You’ll need a generous bit of salt and freshly ground pepper to really round out the flavours here. Taste at the end (before serving) and add as needed!
Loaded Cauliflower Soup
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk or 3%, but not 1% or skim
- 6 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Additional shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional chopped green onion
- Crumbled cooked bacon
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, milk, chopped cauliflower and 1/3 cup chopped green onion. Increase heat to medium-high heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring regularly, until cauliflower is tender. Using a potato masher or an immersion blender, break up the cauliflower pieces just slightly, being sure to leave some chunky pieces in the soup.
- Stir in sour cream and 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese and allow to warm through for a few minutes. Taste soup and season well with salt and freshly ground pepper (Be generous with the salt. If it tastes bland at all, it needs more salt!)
- Serve topped with additional shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onion and crumbled cooked bacon.