A wonderful Summer dessert! This strawberry buttermilk cake is a flavourful, light cake and studded with beautiful roasted strawberries. Enjoy warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This lovely strawberry buttermilk cake is super easy to prepare and a perfect way to enjoy strawberries. Simply mix up the batter, spoon it in to a pan, top with fresh, halved strawberries and bake. The berries will sink in to the cake as it bakes.
Baking cakes in a skillet is a wonderfully rustic way to present a cake. Simply place it on the table with a big spoon and allow everyone to take a spoonful. Be sure to wrap the skillet handle, as it might be hot!
Enjoy this cake warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or try it at room temperature for a lovely morning or afternoon treat.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Strawberries – fresh strawberries will always bring the best flavour, but frozen strawberries should work here as well. If frozen, use from frozen. No need to thaw.
No buttermilk? Make your own by adding 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice to a scant 1/2 cup regular milk. Let stand for 10 minutes and use in this recipe.
This beautiful buttermilk cake is a great base for all your summer fruit baking. Try topping with blueberries, peaches, plums or raspberries!
Get the Recipe: Skillet Strawberry Buttermilk Cake
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt, 1/4 tsp less if you using salted butter
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lb. strawberries, hulled and halved
- Confectioners'/icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 F. with rack in middle of oven. Grease a 9-inch deep dish pie pan, 9-inch round baking pan or a 10-inch top diameter cast iron skillet. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 3-5 minutes. Add the egg, buttermilk and vanilla and mix until blended, about 1 minute. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture, mixing just until combined.
- Remove bowl from mixer and use a spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl well, mixing in any stray flour. Spoon the batter in to the prepared pan and smooth the top. Arrange the strawberries in a randomly in a single layer on top, with the cut side down.
- Bake the cake for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 325 F. and continue baking for 50-60 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool slightly, then serve warm, with a dusting of confectioners/icing sugar and a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if you like.
More Strawberry Cakes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!