I have been sharing some classic recipes in the past few weeks that, while not glamorous, are just solid recipes for every-day dishes. This classic cream of mushroom soup is one of those.
A classic cream of mushroom soup recipe that is delicious and ready in just 20 minutes!
Beyond being incredibly delicious, this soup is ready to eat in just about 20 minutes. Just let that sink in for a few seconds … delicious … soup … 20 minutes. You’ll never open a can of mushroom soup again!
This mushroom soup is not super thick, at least not like the gelatinous canned version. It’s pleasantly thick. If you like, you can puree a bit and add it back in to the soup to thicken it more, as well. The thyme is the perfect spice for mushroom soup. It’s subtle, but present and complements the mushrooms without overpowering them. I often just use plain, old pre-sliced button or mini bella mushrooms, but a combination is nice, as well. Whatever you like or you have around is fine.
The real beauty of this soup is that you can walk in to the kitchen, throw together just a few ingredients and then walk out with a bowl of delicious and comforting soup in minutes. There are not a lot of recipes you can say that about!
Finally, a word about the cream. If I have it, I’ll always use heavy, whipping cream in this soup. It doesn’t need a lot and it doesn’t put this soup over the top in the richness department. It also makes for a thicker/creamier soup. If you don’t have or want to use heavy cream, I’d suggest mixing whatever lighter cream or milk you use with a couple of teaspoons of cornstarch and adding to the soup. It will thicken up the lighter cream.
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 1 Tbsp. pieces
- 1/2 cup (125ml) yellow onions, finely diced
- 8-10 oz. mushrooms (button or mixture of button, cremini, oyster etc), cleaned and sliced (1 standard "tray")
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 tsp. dried thyme (less if your thyme is powdered)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock/broth
- 1/2 cup (125ml) heavy (35% whipping) cream (if using a lighter cream, mix with a couple teaspoons of cornstarch before adding to soup)
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 Tbsp. of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper and the second 1 Tbsp. of butter. Cook, stirring regularly, until the mushrooms start to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the last 1 Tbsp. of butter and stir to melt. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for about 30 seconds to a minute. Add the stock and stir while returning the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- *At this point, if you like a thicker soup, you can remove a few of the mushrooms with a bit of soup to puree and return to the pot or simply pulse a few seconds with an immersion blender. Neither is necessary if you'd rather leave it with all whole mushroom pieces.
- Add the cream and cook for a further minute or two to heat. Taste and adjust seasoning, as necessary. Enjoy!