This delicious and fresh-tasting quick and easy Lemon Chicken Stir Fry is just the thing for a busy weeknight. The fresh lemon juice really brightens and lightens this dish. Serve with rice or noodles.
This dish maybe isn't the prettiest one on the block, but it has so much to recommend it! First, there are the endless varieties of vegetables you can toss in the wok. Then there's the always tender chicken thigh pieces. Finally, the bright simple lemon sauce. This is one of my favourites, as it's hard to beat the lemon chicken combination. And last, but definitely not least, this dish is ready in 15 minutes!
My stir fry features bok choy, red and yellow peppers, onions and green onion. All of these are really fast-cooking vegetables, so the time in the wok is really short. Cook some rice or noodles to serve over and garnish with sesame seeds and a lemon wedge
Cook's Notes for this 15 Minute Lemon Chicken Stir Fry
Fresh is best! Lemon juice, that is. There is nothing like the fresh flavour of freshly squeezed lemon juice, so if you have some fresh lemons, you should go for fresh.
Love stir fries? Check out my 40 Basic Stir Fry Sauce Recipes. This ultimate stir fry sauce recipe cheatsheet is a perfect starting point for dozens of creative stir fries.
Absolutely any vegetables would be lovely in this dish. I always seem to have odds and ends of fresh vegetables, but frozen stir fry mixed vegetables would also work. Just make sure your wok or pan is pretty hot and cook a little longer to cook off the extra moisture before adding the sauce.
If you use carrots in your stir fry, be sure to cut in to very thin slices, so they cook quickly.
For the freshest flavour, I always start with fresh lemon and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Love Stir Fries? Here's more quick and easy stir fry recipe ideas ...
15 Minute Lemon Chicken Stir Fry
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut in to bite-sized pieces
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp white or brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
For the stir fry:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 3 Tbsp green onion thinly sliced, green and white parts
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 small red, orange or yellow bell pepper cored and seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion halved and thinly sliced
- 5-6 baby bok choy stem end removed and quartered
- Cooked rice or noodles for serving
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Sliced green onion for garnish
- In a small bowl, stir together the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Prepare chicken and vegetables and have ready.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook, stirring, until cooked through. Remove chicken to a plate. Discard any juices and return wok to stove-top.
- Heat a bit more oil in a wok over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, green onion and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 30-45 seconds (do not allow to burn). Add onion and bell pepper slices. Cook, stirring regularly, until tender-crisp. Add lemon sauce and cook for 1 minute. Return chicken to pan and scatter with bok choy. Cook, tossing, until bok choy is wilted and sauce is thickened.
- Spoon over cooked rice or noodles and garnish with sesame seeds and additional green onion.