These crispy Parmesan eggs feature a perfect, soft egg on top of crispy Parmesan and served alongside quick sautéed spinach. A wonderful breakfast, brunch or breakfast-for-dinner dish!
These crispy Parmesan eggs are an incredibly simple and super quick dish, but when you sit down to it, you’re sure to feel all fancy. And when you take your first bite, if you’re anything like me, you’ll be making it all the time.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Parmesan – you’ll want to use freshly grated Parmesan for these Parmesan eggs. You could also use Pecorino, also freshly grated.
- You’re going to need a non-stick skillet for this one or at least the closest thing to non-stick that you have.
- You will also be needing a lid for your skillet. If your skillet doesn’t have a lid, you can use a lid from another pot that might fit or if all else fails, just grab a baking sheet and place it over the top of the skillet.
- I love sautéed spinach, so that’s how I have been enjoying it lately. Any green would be nice though. It also doesn’t need to be sauteed/wilted at all. Simply add some fresh greens to the plate with your egg. You could toss with a bit of olive oil, then finish with a drizzle of lemon and a pinch of salt.
Get the Recipe: Crispy Parmesan Eggs
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 handful fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 clove garlic, chopped
- Lemon wedge
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- You will be needing a lid for your skillet. If your skillet doesn’t have a lid, you can use a lid from another pot that might fit or if all else fails, just grab a baking sheet and place it over the top of the skillet.
- Heat olive oil in a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook briefly, just until fragrant. Add spinach leaves and toss, cooking until just wilted. Remove to a plate. Wipe out skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add parmesan to skillet in an even layer, forming an oval in the middle. Let cook 30 seconds, then crack an egg over one edge of the parmesan, so the egg is half on and half off the parmesan. Cover skillet and cook until egg is just set. Remove lid and allow to cook another 30 seconds or so more. Use a spatula to transfer parmesan/egg to plate with spinach. Serve with a lemon wedge to drizzle over-top and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!
Made this morning. Was a HUGE hit. So simple and easy yet full of flavour. Nice one!!
So glad you enjoyed this one, Glenn! Thanks so much :)
The crispy Parmesan! Looks so fancy !
Thanks Jenny and it feels so fancy when you’re eating it too :)
Leave it to Martha right Jennifer?! That crispy parmesan….YES please! I can taste it already! Thanks for sharing!
So true, Mary Ann! I have to hand it to her on this one. Simple and delicious :)
What a delicious meal Jennifer! I can eat this for breakfast everyday! Love the combination of all three ingredients and so easy too!
Thanks so much, Anna and yes, so easy and tasty!
I love the idea of having a fried egg with a parmesan crisp, which happens to be my favorite snack.
They go so well together Gerlinde :)
I don’t suppose this would appeal to many but I can just imagine the mixture of textures and flavours in my mouth. A great idea for a busy day and you just want to get something tasty and quick on the table. Thanks for this brilliant idea – YUM!
I think you’re right Mary, but those that can imagine the flavours and textures in this one are in for a treat :) Thanks!
What a terrific breakfast, brunch or lunch! I bet that crispy Parmesan crisp is terrific with the egg, and I always love sautéed spinach. And I love the bright squeeze of lemon too – lovely meal Jennifer :)
Thanks so much, Tricia :)
Put this in front of me, let me savor it and I will be indebted to you for life! Love how there is also a contrast in textures – from the beautifully wilted spinach through the crispy Parmesan and the runny yolk….Awesomeness!
Thanks so much, Milena :) I LOVED this simple dish. I will have a hard time eating a plain fried egg again!