This crispy fried egg features a perfect, soft egg on top of crispy Parmesan, served with quick sauteed spinach. A wonderful breakfast, brunch or breakfast-for-dinner dish!
This Crispy Parmesan Fried Egg with Spinach is an incredibly simple and super quick dish, but when you sit down to it, you're sure to feel all fancy. And when you take your first bite, if you're anything like me, you'll be making it all the time.
I first spotted this dish in a recent edition of Martha Stewart magazine. I had to make it several times to get it just right. The suggested heat level in the original recipe was medium and I struggled to to get a perfectly cooked egg without over-cooking the Parmesan. After a few tries though, I found that lowering the heat from medium to medium low and having a bit of the egg directly on the pan was was the ticket.
Lovely, crispy Parmesan and a perfectly cooked egg. Together.I hope you'll treat yourself to this simple little dish. It's quickly become a favourite of mine :)
You're going to need a non-stick skillet for this one or at least the closest thing to non-stick that you have.
You will also be needing a lid for your skillet. If your skillet doesn't have a lid, you can use a lid from another pot that might fit or if all else fails, just grab a baking sheet and place it over the top of the skillet.
I love sauteed spinach, so that's how I have been enjoying it lately. Any green would be nice though. It also doesn't need to be sauteed/wilted at all. Simply add some fresh greens to the plate with your egg. You could toss with a bit of olive oil, then finish with a drizzle of lemon and a pinch of salt.
Parmesan Egg with Spinach
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 handful fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 clove garlic, chopped
- Lemon wedge
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- You will be needing a lid for your skillet. If your skillet doesn't have a lid, you can use a lid from another pot that might fit or if all else fails, just grab a baking sheet and place it over the top of the skillet.
- Heat olive oil in a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook briefly, just until fragrant. Add spinach leaves and toss, cooking until just wilted. Remove to a plate. Wipe out skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add parmesan to skillet in an even layer, forming an oval in the middle. Let cook 30 seconds, then crack an egg over one edge of the parmesan, so the egg is half on and half off the parmesan. Cover skillet and cook until egg is just set. Remove lid and allow to cook another 30 seconds or so more. Use a spatula to transfer parmesan/egg to plate with spinach. Serve with a lemon wedge to drizzle over-top and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.