Simply perfect crispy cast iron skillet baby potatoes, seasoned with salt and rosemary. A great side dish for any meal.
There are some dishes that are just simple perfection. This is one of them. These baby potatoes roasted in a cast iron skillet are beautifully crispy on the bottom, but also smooth and velvety in the middle. And this is one of the easiest potato dishes you can make, I guarantee!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Baby Potatoes – aka mini potatoes, these can be yellow or red, round or oblong.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil – you’ll need just a bit to make a thin layer of oil on the bottom of the cast iron frying pan.
Coarse Kosher Salt – or a similar coarse salt. Sprinkle on the pan on top of the oil to infuse the potatoes with a bit of salty flavour.
Optional herbs – if you like, sprinkle a few fresh rosemary leaves and/or thyme leaves into the skillet, as well.
- Add a thin layer of olive oil to the bottom of a cast iron skillet. Sprinkle with coarse salt. If desired, add a bit of fresh rosemary and/or thyme to the pan.
- Halve the mini potatoes and place into the skillet in one even layer without over-lapping at all, making sure each potato sits flat onto the skillet.
Only put as many potatoes in as can lay perfectly flat on the bottom of the skillet. I mention this only because it’s tempting to crowd the pan, you know … just to get a few more potatoes to enjoy. Bad idea. You will sacrifice some great crispy bits if you make this mistake. Of course, if you happen to have a really large cast-iron skillet, no worries … more crispy potatoes for you!
Get the Recipe: Crispy Cast Iron Skillet Baby Potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt , or kosher salt
- 8 baby potatoes , or as many as will fit laid flat in your cast iron skillet
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or thyme leaves, optional
- Put oven rack on the lowest level and pre-heat oven to 425° F. for at least 15 minutes.
- Pour enough olive oil into a large cast-iron skillet, tilting it, just to thinly cover the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the salt over the rosemary. If using, strip the leaves from the rosemary or thyme and scatter evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Cut the baby potatoes in half, and set them cut side down into the skillet, adding only as many potatoes as can fit laid flat on the bottom of the skillet. Don't overlap at all or they won't crispy up nicely! Roast on the lowest oven rack until the potatoes are tender and the bottoms are crisp and well browned, about 30 to 40 minutes.
More Baby Potato Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!