There are some dishes that are just simple perfection. This is one of them. Potatoes – crispy and flavourful on the bottom, smooth and velvety on top. And one of the easiest dishes you’ll make, I guarantee.
Simply perfect skillet roasted potatoes recipe, flavoured with rosemary. A great side dish for any meal.
Of course, this isn’t so much a recipe, but more a bit of visual inspiration. You simply need some small potatoes, olive oil, salt, rosemary and a cast-iron skillet. Stick it in a hot oven (or in your BBQ) and forget about it for a while. While they cook up into crispy-bottom goodness, the salt and rosemary infuses the potatoes with flavour, so when you pull them out of the oven, there is nothing left to do but enjoy them.
The only little tip I have for this dish is to only put as many potatoes in as can lay perfectly flat on the bottom of the skillet. I mention this only because I may have been known to crowd my pan a little in the past. You know … just to get a few more potatoes to enjoy. Bad idea. You will sacrifice some great crispy bits if you make this mistake. Of course, if you happen to have a really large cast-iron skillet, no worries … more crispy potatoes for you!
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 3/4 tsp. coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 8 to 10 small red potatoes or other waxy potatoes
- Put oven rack on the lowest level and pre-heat oven to 425° F. for at least 15 minutes.
- Pour enough olive oil into a large cast-iron skillet, tilting it, just to cover the bottom of the pan. Strip the leaves from the rosemary sprig and scatter evenly over the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the salt over the rosemary.
- Scrub the potatoes, if necessary, then cut them in half, and set them cut side down on the rosemary and salt. Roast on the lowest oven rack until the potatoes are tender and the bottoms are crisp and well browned, about 30 to 40 minutes.