These garlic and lemon roasted potatoes are oven-roasted mini potatoes, cooked until golden, then tossed in a garlic herb butter and served with a drizzle of lemon.
These garlic and lemon mini potatoes might just be my favourite way to enjoy potatoes. They are enjoyed here often as a quick, easy and delicious side dish. They are a great side for simple grilled meat, as they are loaded with flavour.
The potatoes roast up quickly in a hot oven, with a golden bottom and creamy soft insides. As soon as they are cooked, they are quickly tossed in garlic, herbs and butter (or olive oil) and served with a drizzle of fresh lemon juice.
Ingredients and substitutions
Potatoes – I love to make these garlic lemon potatoes with mini potatoes, because they are so lovely and creamy, but you could also make these with larger potatoes. I think a yellow-fleshed or white potato would be fine. Simply cut into large chunks. I would leave the skin on, but that’s just me :)
Olive Oil and Butter – I have made these potatoes with all butter, half butter/half olive oil and all olive oil. They are delicious anyway, so it’s really up to your personal preference.
Garlic – there really is no replacement for fresh garlic in this recipe, so I recommend it. It just brings the most lovely flavour to the dish, that garlic powder or garlic salt can’t replicate.
Lemon – likewise, freshly squeezed lemon juice will bring the brightest flavour. In a pinch, bottled lemon juice will work.
A cast iron skillet is perfect for getting a great golden bottom on your potatoes, but you need to make sure that your potatoes are all lying flat on the bottom. If you only have a small skillet and you want lots of potatoes, go with a baking sheet instead.
Get the Recipe: Garlic and Lemon Roasted Potatoes
- 20 mini potatoes, cut in half
- 1-2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, (just enough to coat the bottom of your baking sheet)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter, (can use 1 Tbsp butter/1 Tbsp olive oil or all olive oil, as well)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, (or a pinch of dried thyme leaves)
- Flaky salt, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 F. (regular bake setting/not fan assisted)
- Pour olive oil onto a baking sheet or cast iron skillet and brush to spread into a thin even layer. Sprinkle evenly with Kosher salt. Place potato halves, cut side down in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast in preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until underside of the potatoes are golden brown.
- When potatoes are almost finished roasting, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until garlic is soft and fragrant, but not browned. Turn off heat under pan. Add parsley and thyme. Stir to combine.
- As soon as potatoes are removed from the oven. Spoon into skillet with garlic herb butter. Toss to coat, then remove to a serving plate. Sprinkle with flaky salt and drizzle with fresh lemon.
More potato recipes to love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!