This cherry tomato salad is the perfect way to highlight beautiful Summer tomatoes! Starts with cherry cherry tomatoes and adds some garlic croutons to the mix, then it’s all tossed in a red wine vinaigrette!
Why I Love This Cherry Tomato Salad
This combination of tomatoes and bread is classic in a panzanella salad, but for this salad, I substituted simple, homemade garlic croutons. The combination of flavours and textures in this salad is fabulous. It’s a perfect salad to enjoy field fresh tomatoes.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Cherry Tomatoes – I’ve used heirloom cherry tomatoes here, which are fabulous if you can get your hands on them. If not, there are a wide variety of cherry and grape tomatoes available these days. I think multi-coloured cherry tomatoes are especially pretty in this cherry tomato salad.
You can change this tomato salad up with the addition of crumbled feta or goat cheese or even some Parmesan shavings.
Another way to change this one up is to swap the red wine vinegar for balsamic, for another great flavour combination.
Get the Recipe: Cherry Tomato Salad with Garlic Croutons
- 1/2 head garlic, about 3-4 cloves peeled
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1/4 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 baguette
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
For the salad:
- 3 cups Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- For the Homemade Garlic Croutons: Melt butter in a small saucepan over LOW heat. Add garlic cloves. Cover saucepan and cook, stirring and checking regularly, for 10-15 minutes. Watch closely and don't raise heat above low, or garlic and/or butter may burn. Transfer garlic (and any butter) to a medium bowl and let cool completely.
- Once garlic has cooled, add Parmesan, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Mash to a paste and season with a little salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Preheat your oven broiler with rack about 6-8 inches from heat. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Slice the 1/2 baguette in half lengthwise. Place two baguette pieces on baking sheet and broil, cut side down, until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes (watch carefully). Remove from oven, let cool slightly, then flip over and spread cut side with garlic paste. Broil until cheese is golden and bubbling, about 2 minutes. Cut one of the baguette slices into bite-sized cubes. Set aside.
- For the salad: In a large bowl, combine the halved cherry tomatoes, red onion slices and chopped basil. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Whisk together the salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle over tomato mixture and toss to combine. Add only enough to moisten. Add some of the garlic bread cubes. Toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!