Easy and delicious roasted carrot and ginger soup, topped with crisp kale chips, whipped goat cheese and pepitas (pumpkin seeds). A great Fall soup!
This is definitely the time of year to take advantage of really economical fresh carrots and turn them in to this delicious and vegetable-rich Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup! And if you like, make it special by topping with Kale chips, whipped goat cheese and pepitas.
I have enjoyed this soup both plain, dressed up and everything in between. Sometimes I just make the kale chips, sometimes I just make the goat cheese. It depends on how ambitious I’m feeling at the time. If you’re not in the mood to make these toppings, enjoy it topped with some simple homemade croutons or with a thick slice of crusty bread.
I think the pretty Fall colours make it a great soup for Thanksgiving. All of it can be made ahead, so it’s perfect for entertaining. Make the soup ahead and re-warm to serve. Make the kale chips and whipped goat cheese ahead to. Just put it all together when you are ready to serve.
Cook’s Notes for Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup
Be sure to watch the carrots towards the end of roasting. You don’t want them to brown, or your soup will lose it’s lovely orange colour and will become a kind of muddy version of that. Browned bits (particularly quite brown) may also introduce a slightly bitter taste to your soup.
Also watch your kale in the oven as it roasts. There’s a pretty fine line between crisp and burnt :)
Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup with Kale Chips and Whipped Goat Cheese
For the soup:
- 1 lb. carrots peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp. peeled minced fresh ginger
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. kosher salt or 3/4 tsp. fine salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups baby kale leaves
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Pinch paprika
- Pinch salt
Whipped Goat Cheese:
- 3 oz. log goat cheese
- 2 oz. cream cheese 1/4 of standard block
- 1/2 cup heavy cream 35%
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Pepitas unroasted pumpkin seeds
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Place the carrots in a medium baking dish large enough to lay the carrots in a single layer. Drizzle them with olive oil and toss them to coat well. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Roast in the pre-heated oven, stirring once halfway through roasting, until they’re tender, blistered, but not yet browned, about 50- minutes to 1 hour.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir ginger and cook, stirring, for another minute. Add the roasted carrots, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and cover. Simmer until the carrots are very tender, about 45 min.
- For the Kale Chips (if using): While the soup is simmering, preheat oven to 350 F. Toss kale in olive oil and sprinkle with paprika and salt. Spread in an even single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheet for about a minute, then transfer to a cooling rack. *Can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container.
- For the Whipped Goat Cheese (if using): In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. *Can be made ahead and refrigerated.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or alternately, you can allow to cool slightly and blend in small batches in your blender (don't blend hot soup all at once and be sure to cover top with a towel when you blend.)
- Taste and adjust seasoning, as necessary. Serve as is or top with kale chips and/or whipped goat cheese and pepitas.