This sticky chicken recipe is easy and delicious and perfect for any bone-in skin-on chicken. Cooks entirely in the oven with an easy stir-together glaze.
Why you’ll love this sticky chicken!
- This sticky chicken is one of the easiest chicken dinners! No pre-browning the chicken needed. Simply pop the chicken in a pan.
- The simple glaze is stirred together and poured over the chicken.
- The delicious glaze is a bit of a fusion of BBQ and Asian-inspired flavours and it’s thick enough to stick to the chicken perfectly.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Bone-in Skin-on Chicken – bone-in, skin-on chicken is specified and highly recommended as the long oven time will may dry out boneless or skinless chicken. The fat from the skin also prevents the glaze from cooking off in the pan. You can use bone-in chicken breasts, bone-in chicken thighs or bone-in drumsticks or try a mixture of several cuts.
Ketchup – ketchup is specified, though you could replace it with tomato sauce if you prefer. I might add a splash of white vinegar to tomato sauce, as well.
Orange Juice – freshly squeezed orange juice is always nice, but any orange juice will work fine here.
- Place chicken into oven-safe baking pan. I’ve used 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts and 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs here.
- Stir together the glaze and pour over chicken
- Bake for 90 minutes, basting chicken twice during cooking, after 30 and 60 minutes of cooking.
What to serve with sticky chicken
The flavours of the chicken lends itself to either rice (or cauliflower rice) or potatoes as a side. Or skip the carbs and serve with a simple green vegetable or an Asian-inspired salad.
You can place the chicken pieces in a plastic zipper bag, pour the sauce into the bag and shake to coat. Refrigerate to marinate up to 8 hours before cooking.
Get the Recipe: Bone-in Chicken Sticky Chicken
- 2 1/2-3 lbs. bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces, *see Note 1 below
- 5 Tablespoons ketchup
- 4 Tablespoons orange juice
- 4 Tablespoons honey
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium recommended
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely mined or 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- sesame seeds
- green onion, sliced
- Optional marinating: You can place the chicken pieces in a plastic zipper bag, pour the sauce into the bag and shake to coat. Refrigerate to marinate up to 8 hours before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350F (regular bake setting/not fan assisted).
- Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towel and season lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper. Place into an oven-safe baking dish.
- Prepare the sauce by stirring together all the sauce ingredients. Pour sauce over chicken pieces to coat.
- Place uncovered into preheated oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours, basting with the sauce every 30 minutes (so after 30 and 60 minutes of cooking). At end of cooking, if you like, switch oven to Broil (without raising rack) and broil 1-2 minutes to brown up a bit.
- Serve garnished with sesame seeds and sliced green onion, if desired.
More Bone-in Chicken Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!