I was recently added an Airfryer to my kitchen and of course, the first thing I made was fries. Who doesn't want perfect fries without the guilt of deep frying?
The first thing I learned is that air-fried fries are not necessarily quicker than deep frying. Fries will still take 24 minutes to cook. There was no denying though, that I definitely didn't miss the smelly deep fryer and having to use a whole bottle of oil in it! The second thing I learned is that even air fryers require a little oil - about a tablespoon or so.
I made a few batches to get the hang of it, but after just a bit of experimentation, these beauties emerged from my Airfryer.
They were both beautiful and delicious. Perfectly satisfying. Done right, with the right potatoes, they definitely rival deep-fried fries. No kidding!
I found I got the best Airfryer fries using the following tips:
1. Use Yukon Gold or other yellow-fleshed potato. White potatoes would be a close second choice. Russets were good, but took longer to cook and produced a more limp fry.
2. Soak the raw cut fries in cold water for 30 minutes and then dry well.
3. Sprinkle about 1 Tbsp. of oil on the fries before putting in the Airfryer and toss well to coat. Sprinkle with some salt before frying as well, to flavour fries as they cook.
4. Toss fries well a couple of times during cooking to ensure even browning.
5. Don't make too large a batch (don't over-fill the basket). While it's tempting to want more, the more you fill it, the less they will crisp.
I love fries and frankly, I was in love with the idea of easy, delicious and relatively guilt-free fries. Clean-up of the Airfryer is also dead easy and the cooking basket can even go in the dishwasher. I kept thinking that for fries alone, this device would be perfect for any household with kids (young or old).
Perfect Air Fryer Fries
- 5 Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil (or other neutral tasting oil)
- If you like, you can peel your potatoes, or just leave the peel on. Cut your potatoes into fry shape and place in a large bowl of cold water for 30 minutes. Drain and dry well.
- Set your air fryer to the recommended temperature for fries. Add the potatoes to the fry basket. Drizzle with oil and generously salt. Cook for about 10 minutes. Stop air fryer, remove basket and shake well to re-distribute the fries. Return basket to air fryer and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove and shake again. Cook another 5-10 minutes, or until fries are deep golden.