These Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs roast off easily in the oven and are drizzled with a lovely citrusy sauce for serving. A quick and easy weeknight meal!
The funny thing about citrus is that it is just seems to fit perfectly in to any season. There’s just something about those bright flavours that is just as welcoming in Summer as it is in Winter. This Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs is just such a meal. I enjoy it year round and have made it with many combinations of fresh citrus juice, depending on what I have on hand. It’s always delicious!
I am a big fan of skin-on/bone-in chicken thighs and cook them often, but I have to say, I kind of love not having to brown them in a skillet every time I use them. This recipe makes use of a hot oven to do the browning for me and I love the ease and time saving. These would also be fabulous done on the BBQ, as we move in to that season.
Cook’s Notes for Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs
This time, I used simply Meyer lemons, since they are already a lovely combination of orange and lemon. As Meyers move out of season, I just grab whatever looks good in the citrus department at the time.
Of course, you can use any kind of chicken with this recipe, but do note that the roasting time will vary. Be sure to check for doneness with an instant read thermometer to be sure.
Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs
Bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs, marinated in citrus, then roasted off in the oven. Served with a citrus sauce. A quick and easy weeknight meal.
- 5-6 skin-on/bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1/4 inch slice fresh ginger (about 1-inch diameter)
- 1/2 cup fresh citrus juice (orange, lemon, lime or any mixture)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Place chicken thighs in a large resealable plastic bag and pour in marinade. Press out as much air as possible, seal and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Place oven rack in top third of oven and preheat oven to 425F. Remove chicken from bag and on to a foil lined, rimmed baking sheet. Transfer marinade to a small saucepan and stir 1 tsp cornstarch to mixture. Roast chicken until cooked through, about 30 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken thighs.
- When chicken is almost done, bring sauce to a boil in the saucepan, then simmer until slightly reduced and thickened. Spoon over chicken, to serve. Nice with rice and a green vegetable.