These Herb and Garlic Roasted Potato Skewers use small, new potatoes, threaded on to skewers and roasted with herbs and garlic until golden and crispy. A fun way to enjoy potatoes and great for entertaining.
This is a super simple way to enjoy those small new potatoes that are available at the markets right now (or mini potatoes any time of year). This is more of an idea than a recipe exactly. These Herb Roasted New Potato Skewers are just proof positive that food on sticks is always more fun!
Simply thread them on to wooden skewers, dress them up with some herbs and garlic olive oil and roast until golden brown. There is only one trick to the perfect skewer roasted potatoes an one that I have not completely mastered, but I'm working on it :) The trick is to ensure that your skewer of potatoes is as level as possible on the cut potato side, so that they all stay in contact with the hot pan to cook up all lovely and crispy.
The best way to accomplish that is to lay your potato halves on the counter in a row, cut side down, and to thread your skewer through the potatoes as they sit there.
After that, simply mix up your garlic and herb oil, spread on a baking sheet and lay your potatoes on top. Pop in to a hot oven and roast until golden. Flip them over and top with a little Parmesan, then return to the oven for a few minutes. Enjoy as a side for any meal or as a snack with some sour cream for dipping.
If using wooden skewers, don't forget to set them to soak for about 30 minutes before using.
Cook's Notes for Herb and Garlic Roasted Potato Skewers
Your potatoes should be of similar size, so that they cook evenly. So they can be bigger or smaller, but whatever way you go, they should be all the same size-ish.
I know it sounds easy to say lay your potatoes cut side down on the counter and thread the skewer through, but potatoes are hard and that's one of those "easier said than done" things. If you are having trouble, toss your potatoes in a bowl and microwave for 30-45 seconds + to soften them slightly.
Herb Roasted New Potato Skewers
- 12 small new (or mini) potatoes , of similar size
Herb Oil Mix:
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp mixed fresh herbs, oregano. parsley, rosemary, (or use 1 Tbsp. mixed dried herbs
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 F. If using wooden skewers, set them to soak for about 30 minutes before using.
- Prepare Herb Oil Mix: Combine all ingredients and stir well. Set aside.
- Cut your potatoes in half. Lay potatoes cut side down and just touching each other, in 6 rows of 4 potato halves on your work surface. Take a skewer and thread through the potatoes, without lifting the potatoes, to ensure that the bottom/cut side stays as level as possible.
- Pour your herb oil mix in the center of a baking sheet and spread out just to about the size that the skewers will cover. Place potato skewers on top of the herb oil mixture and press down lightly. Lightly brush the top (uncut, rounside of the potatoes with olive oil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden underneath. Flip skewers over so that the cut side is up, sprinkle top of potatoes with Parmesan and return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Enjoy as a side for any meal or as a snack with sour cream for dipping.
- Makes 6 skewers of 4 half-potatoes.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.