This Hungarian Mushroom Soup with Chicken is hearty enough for dinner. Full of mushrooms in a lightly creamy, paprika flavoured soup.
I have always loved mushroom soup and have shared several here already (see below!), but this Hungarian Mushroom Soup is a favourite for a dinner soup.
I have taken the traditional Hungarian mushroom soup and added combined it with chicken, for a soup hearty enough for the biggest appetite.
This hearty soup uses tons of mushrooms, a lovely paprika flavoured soup, a pinch of dill and a touch of cream, combined with bits of chicken. Top with some sour cream and serve with a crusty bread, for a quick, easy and delicious dinner soup.
Cook's Notes for Hungarian Mushroom Soup with Chicken
You can use just a tray of cremini mushrooms for this soup, but I love to add a few halved button mushrooms for a variety of textures.
For the chicken, you need only one boneless chicken breast if you want to quickly cook it up. Or start with left-over cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken and skip the cooking the chicken step altogether.
I like to do all the thickening and adding creaminess at the end of cooking this soup. I mix some cornstarch with cream and add just as much as needed at the end to thicken and add a touch of creaminess. The use of cornstarch also makes this soup gluten free, if that's a consideration.
Make this soup vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth and skipping the chicken.
Hungarian Mushroom Soup with Chicken
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast diced or about 1 1/4 cups diced cooked chicken
- Cooking oil
- 1/4 cup onion finely diced
- 8 oz sliced cremini mushrooms standard tray
- 10 button mushrooms halved (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- Pinch dried dill
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
To thicken and add creaminess:
- 1/4 cup whipping cream or half and half
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Sour cream
- Additional chopped fresh parsley
- If starting with an uncooked chicken breast: In a large soup pot, heat a bit of cooking oil over medium heat, add diced chicken and cook, stirring, until just cooked through. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a bit more oil in pan. Add diced onion and cook over medium heat, stirring, just until softened. Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring regularly, until mushrooms are softened. Add chicken broth, paprika and dill. Add cooked chicken back to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes to allow the flavours to develop. Taste soup and season with salt and pepper, as needed. Stir in chopped parsley.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream and cornstarch. Add about 1/2 the mixture to the soup and cook, stirring, for 1 minute to thicken. Add more of the cream mixture to the soup as needed, until soup is thickened to your liking.
- Spoon soup into serving bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream and additional chopped fresh parsley.