This Hungarian Mushroom Soup with Chicken is hearty enough for dinner. Full of mushrooms in a lightly creamy, paprika flavoured soup.
I have always loved mushroom soup and have shared several here already (see below!), but this Hungarian Mushroom Soup is a favourite for a dinner soup.
I have taken the traditional Hungarian mushroom soup and added combined it with chicken, for a soup hearty enough for the biggest appetite. This hearty soup uses tons of mushrooms, a lovely paprika flavoured soup, a pinch of dill and a touch of cream, combined with bits of chicken. Top with some sour cream and serve with a crusty bread, for a quick, easy and delicious dinner soup.
You can use just a tray of cremini mushrooms for this soup, but I love to add a few halved button mushrooms for a variety of textures.
For the chicken, you need only one boneless chicken breast if you want to quickly cook it up. Or start with left-over cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken and skip the cooking the chicken step altogether.
I like to do all the thickening and adding creaminess at the end of cooking this soup. I mix some cornstarch with cream and add just as much as needed at the end to thicken and add a touch of creaminess. The use of cornstarch also makes this soup gluten free, if that's a consideration.
Make this soup vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth and skipping the chicken.
Hungarian Mushroom Soup with Chicken
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, diced or about 1 1/4 cups diced cooked chicken
- Cooking oil
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 8 oz sliced cremini mushrooms, standard tray
- 10 button mushrooms, halved (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- Pinch dried dill
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
To thicken and add creaminess:
- 1/4 cup whipping cream, or half and half
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Sour cream
- Additional chopped fresh parsley
- If starting with an uncooked chicken breast: In a large soup pot, heat a bit of cooking oil over medium heat, add diced chicken and cook, stirring, until just cooked through. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a bit more oil in pan. Add diced onion and cook over medium heat, stirring, just until softened. Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring regularly, until mushrooms are softened. Add chicken broth, paprika and dill. Add cooked chicken back to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes to allow the flavours to develop. Taste soup and season with salt and pepper, as needed. Stir in chopped parsley.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream and cornstarch. Add about 1/2 the mixture to the soup and cook, stirring, for 1 minute to thicken. Add more of the cream mixture to the soup as needed, until soup is thickened to your liking.
- Spoon soup into serving bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream and additional chopped fresh parsley.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.
More mushroom soup recipes you might also like ...