These Seeded Pumpkin Bread Sticks are like mini baguettes. Their pretty colour and delicious taste make them the perfect bread for your Thanksgiving table!
While I am calling these bread sticks, they are actually mini baguette loaves, so each one will server several people. With the recipe making 6 sticks, you can definitely feed a crowd with these.
Looking for a festive and pretty bread for your Thanksgiving table? These Seeded Pumpkin Bread Sticks are mini baguettes and each one will serve 3 or 4 people. They’d look great on your holiday table, piled up in a big wooden bowl or standing in a bucket. Or just wrap them in twine and use them to decorate your table!
The colour of the dough from the pumpkin is fabulous and together with the seeds (both in the dough and on top!), these loaves are sure to impress your guests, while being super easy to make.
Be sure to add your flour gradually, as needed, to keep a moist dough. As the pumpkin adds a lot of moisture and will vary in moisture from brand to brand, just keep adding as much flour as you need until your dough is no longer sticky.
Your rising time will vary, depending on the warmth of your kitchen.
If you’re not making these bread sticks for a larger gathering, freeze them individually, then you can pull one out whenever you like. One bread stick is the perfect size for a single family meal, as it will serve 3 or 4 nicely.
I have used SAF Brand Instant Yeast here, my yeast of choice, which is fine to add right into the other ingredients. If you prefer to use active dry yeast, you may want to proof it in the 1/2 cup of lukewarm water for 5-10 minutes, then add into the bowl.
Get the Recipe: Seeded Pumpkin Bread Sticks
For the bread:
- 1 1/2 cups (367.5 ml) pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp (9.86 g) instant yeast
- 2 Tbsp (29.57 ml) honey
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) lukewarm water
- 2 Tbsp (29.57 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 cups (437.5 g) all purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 1/2 cup (67 ml) sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp (29.57 ml) sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp (14.79 ml) flax seeds
- 2 tsp (9.86 g) salt
For the topping:
- 1 (1 ) egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (16 ml) pepitas, pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp (14.79 ml) poppy seeds
- 2 Tbsp (29.57 ml) sunflower seeds
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the pumpkin puree, yeast, honey, water, vegetable oil and 1 cup of the flour. Mix until combined. Stir in the seeds and salt, then switch to the kneading hook. Gradually add 2 cups more flour, kneading to incorporated and adding more as needed until you have a smooth and moist dough, that is not sticky or too dry. Remove dough to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled, about 60-90 minutes.
- Remove dough to a floured surface and gently deflate. Divide dough into 6 equal portions and form into a log 1 1/2 inches wide and 12 inches long. Place onto a large, lightly greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough pieces, placing sticks a couple of inches apart on the sheet. Cover with a clean tea towel and allow to rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Brush rolls with lightly beaten egg, then sprinkle with pepitas, poppy seed and sunflower seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until golden and hollow-sounding when tapped. Remove to a cooling rack to cool.