This bacon and egg pie features bacon and eggs, cooked together in puff pastry crust. Cooks perfectly in a cast iron skillet.
Bacon and eggs were meant to be together and there’s no better way to bring them together than in a puff-pastry crust and cooked in a skillet. In my opinion, anyway :)
This classic bacon and egg pie is borrowed from the Australians, where it is a comfort food favourite. Starting with store-bought puff-pastry makes it easy enough for every day, whether for breakfast, brunch or dinner.
Cook’s Notes for Skillet Bacon and Egg Pie
Feel free to add some herbs to your pie. Or tomatoes. Or spinach. Or cheese. As you like. Also, if there’s a special something you always eat with your bacon and eggs, such as ketchup, HP/A1 Sauce, Sriracha etc., you could add some splashes over-top of the bacon layer, before adding the eggs.
Skillet Bacon and Egg Pie
- 8 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk, for brushing pastry before baking
- 1/2 cup cooked, chopped bacon
- 1 green onion diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 14 oz block store bought puff pastry
- Generously great a cast iron skillet or round baking pan (8-10 inches diameter or square) and pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- On a floured surface, roll out 2/3 of the puff pastry into a round or square big enough to cover the bottom of your skillet/pan and to come about 3/4 of the way up the sides.
- Scatter green onion over the bottom of the pastry and then scatter 1/2 of the cooked, diced bacon. Carefully break the 8 eggs on top, spacing them evenly around the outside and then one last one in the middle. Season generously with salt and pepper. then scatter on the remaining bacon.
- Roll out the remaining 1/3 of the pastry to make a lid. Crimp the pastry edges together with a fork and trim off any excess. Use the trimmings to decorate the pie if you wish (attach them with a dab of egg wash). Cut four small vents in the pastry lid with a sharp knife.
- Brush with beaten egg mix and bake 35 - 40 minutes until rich golden brown and crispy.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or cold.