Fun and delicious, these Hasselback Mini Potatoes are a fun side dish for any meal. They’re like tater tots for grown ups :)
Cook’s Notes for Hasselback Mini Potatoes
Probably the first thing you’re wondering is if cutting a bunch of little potatoes hasselback style is a painful, tedious, time consuming undertaking. I’m here to assure you it isn’t. At all. See my trick to quickly and easily cut hasselback potatoes in this video how-to …
How to easily cut Hasselback Potatoes – VIDEO with Audio
Chopsticks are the perfect thing to use as a guide for cutting hasselback potatoes. Be sure to keep your knife level and parallel to your cutting surface as you cut.
No fresh thyme? You could also use fresh rosemary for these!
When shopping for your mini potatoes, look for the smallest ones you can find and best if no matter what size, they are mostly in the same size range, to ensure even cooking.
Change it Up!
Change up your potatoes by adding some spice to the mix. Paprika would be nice and pretty. Cayenne would be great for some heat. Or dig out some fun spice blends, like tex-mex, chipotle chili etc.
Pair your fun, little potatoes with a delicious dip. Ranch, sour cream and chive or anything that pairs well with potatoes (and that’s just about anything! :)
Recipe adapted from a Canadian Living recipe.
Hasselback Mini Potatoes
- 2 lbs. mini potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp flaked salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and lightly smashed with the back of a knife
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cut mini potatoes hasselback style, by making thin slices in the potatoes, cutting almost, but not all the way through the potato. *Tip: Use two chopsticks placed on either side of the mini potato as a cutting guide to prevent cutting all the way through the potatoes!
- Place hasselbacked potatoes in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with flaked salt. Add some freshly ground pepper and the fresh thyme leaves. Toss to combine and coat the potatoes.
- Arrange coated potatoes in an even layer, cut side up, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Add garlic cloves and fresh thyme sprigs. Return to oven and roast an additional 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
More Potatoes Recipes You Might Like …
There’s no shortage of potato recipes on Seasons and Suppers! These Garlic Lemon Roasted Potatoes are a favourite, as it’s hard to beat lemon and garlic together. Or if you’re looking for more hasselback potato ideas, my Jalapeno Popper Hasselback Potatoes are fun and delicious. Finally, these Roasted Parmesan Fingerling Potatoes are a nice change from mini potatoes.