Fun and delicious, these Hasselback Mini Potatoes are a fun side dish for any meal. They’re like tater tots for grown ups :)
It’s always a challenge to find new ways to enjoy potatoes. I love these hasselback mini potatoes and their crispy outsides and tender insides.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Thyme – fresh thyme leaves are best, but you could also use fresh rosemary for these potatoes if you don’t have thyme. In a pinch, dried thyme leaves will work fine here.
Mini potatoes – When shopping for your mini potatoes, look for the smallest ones you can find and best if no matter what size, they are mostly in the same size range, to ensure even cooking.
Probably the first thing you’re wondering is if cutting a bunch of little potatoes hasselback style is a painful, tedious, time consuming undertaking. I’m here to assure you it isn’t. Read on to find out how!
How to easily cut Hasselback Potatoes
Chopsticks are the perfect thing to use as a guide for cutting hasselback potatoes. Be sure to keep your knife level and parallel to your cutting surface as you cut.
Change it Up!
Change up your potatoes by adding some spice to the mix. Paprika would be nice and pretty. Cayenne would be great for some heat. Or dig out some fun spice blends, like tex-mex, chipotle chili etc.
How to Serve Hasselback Mini Potatoes
Pair your fun, little potatoes with a delicious dip. Ranch, sour cream and chive or anything that pairs well with potatoes (and that’s just about anything! :)
Get the Recipe: Hasselback Mini Potatoes
- 2 lbs mini potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon flaked salt, such as Maldon's
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly smashed with the back of a knife
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cut mini potatoes hasselback style, by making thin slices in the potatoes, cutting almost, but not all the way through the potato. *Tip: Use two chopsticks placed on either side of the mini potato as a cutting guide to prevent cutting all the way through the potatoes!
- Place hasselbacked potatoes in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with flaked salt. Add some freshly ground pepper and the fresh thyme leaves. Toss to combine and coat the potatoes.
- Arrange coated potatoes in an even layer, cut side up, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Add garlic cloves and fresh thyme sprigs. Return to oven and roast an additional 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
More Potato Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!